Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good cabinet speaker coil shielding material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cabinet speaker coil shielding material?

Hello,

I'm having problems with too much feedback from my coming from my guitar rig. I like to crank it up because it sounds better for what I'm trying to do and I'm not going to be able to stand far away from my speaker in a lot of situations. I have some 60's p90 pickups in my guitar that I may shield with teflon tape because they are very hot. I also may want to shield the speaker coils in my Sunn cabinet to reduce magnetic field interference with my guitar pick ups. Does any one know what materials or fabrics would be best for this?

Teflon won't shield against EMI....

The problem is acoustic feedback because you are loud. Nothing you can do about that other than repotting the guitars p-ups. And that might not even do anything. Loud+guitar close to a speaker=feedback.....nothing you can do about that really...

Try a different guitar....and back away from the spkr.

You can't "shield" a spkr cab...
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

That is the very definition of feedback.
      The speaker vibrations get into the pickup, which get amplified through the speaker, which gets into the pickup............Squeal.
      I find them aggravating but you may want to try a gate pedal.

Comment

Not into the idea of using any more pedals because it will take away from my volume and signal. I may wax pot the pick ups, but I've also read that you can wrap the coils in conductive copper tape. I also saw a guy who taped steel air duct caps over his speaker magnets, but that was to reduce interference with his T.V. Not sure if that would work the same way with feedback...Like I said, I am not able to turn down and do not have a lot of room to stand far away from the speaker. Any other suggestions would help..

Comment

Originally posted by senexone View Post
          ... I also saw a guy who taped steel air duct caps over his speaker magnets, but that was to reduce interference with his T.V. Not sure if that would work the same way with feedback...
          The purpose in that case was to reduced the magnetic field from the speaker magnet so that it would not distort the image on a CRT based TV screen if the speakers were close by. Adding magnetic sheilding to your amp speakers will not help with the guitar feedback you are experiencing.

Comment

Working...
          X