Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First pick up, bobbin or flatwork?

Just thought I'd ask what's the best way to start winding

I'm after a replacement for my CS69 so aiming for flat work and vintage stagger alnico 5.

But as an initial practice I have a few of the plastic bobbins kicking around and wondered if it would be easier to start with these and then I could also easily experiment with different types of magnets or would it sound completely different when I wound the traditional style one?

Cheers
    Last edited by Rj777; 01-10-2012, 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Originally posted by Rj777 View Post
    Just thought I'd ask what's the best way to start winding

I'm after a replacement for my CS69 so aiming for flat work and vintage stagger alnico 5.

But as an initial practice I have a few of the plastic bobbins kicking around and wondered if it would be easier to start with these and then I could also easily experiment with different types of magnets or would it sound completely different when I wound the traditional style one?

Cheers
    Those would be great to practice on.
    That would be interesting to compare the plastic bobbins to flatwork.
    There are all kinds of sounds and tones you can come with with strat single coils.
    Some of the things you can try with flatwork, is varying the height of the winding area.
    11mm is the standard winding area for a strat SC.
    If you make it shorter it will make the tone darker and possibly fatter.
    If you make them taller it will make them brighter.
    You can vary the TPL, & Tension, that will vary the tone.
    You can use a Single build wire, like PE, or SPN.
    Or You can use HFV or HPN Double build.
    I mainly use a Heavy double wire on Strat Coils.
    Also Your CS69s are probably all wound the same, with no RWRP.
    I always make the middle Pickup on Strat Sets RWRP, that way you have noise canceling with pos. 2 & 4.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      11mm is the standard winding area for a strat SC.
      Silly question: Did Leo use metric dimensions? Or does that really mean 7/16" ?

(No need to reply; I'm just being a PITA.)

Later,
      -rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        Silly question: Did Leo use metric dimensions? Or does that really mean 7/16" ?

(No need to reply; I'm just being a PITA.)

Later,
        -rb
        Back then in the states no Metric.
        We did fractions and Thousandths of an inch.
        So probably 7/16 or .435 inches.
        More or less.
        Now a days its just easier to talk on here in MM.
        FWIW!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

You can use a Single build wire, like PE, or SPN.
          Or You can use HFV or HPN Double build.
          Ok still struggling with the different types what would this be equivilant to? would the dual coat mean heavy build?

I have also seen some some wire Here advertised as vintage PVA (formvar) grade 2.is that likely to be double build? I thought PE was vintage?

So probably 7/16 or .435 inches.
          More or less.
          Now a days its just easier to talk on here in MM.
          Its not so bad now with digital calipers, hit the button and instant conversion, but I do find it easysier when its in mm as I dont have to think cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Rj777 View Post
            Ok still struggling with the different types what would this be equivilant to? would the dual coat mean heavy build?

I have also seen some some wire Here advertised as vintage PVA (formvar) grade 2.is that likely to be double build? I thought PE was vintage?

Its not so bad now with digital calipers, hit the button and instant conversion, but I do find it easysier when its in mm as I dont have to think cheers
            Looks like with those companies, everything is considered to be Plain Enamel.\
            They even call 155 Solderable wire as PE.
            The old type Plain Enam. and Heavy Varnish, can't be soldered without sanding or scraping.
            If it is easily solderable, then if Single it is SPN, heavy or Double HPN.
            You may want to ask your UK guys where they get wire.
            I buy mine here in the States from MWS.
            Some buy from BAE.
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5313/
            I like double build Heavy for most of my Strat Single coils.
            I am currently using a roll of Heavy Formvar.
            When It Runs out, I'm going to purchase a 10 Pound roll of HPN from MWS.
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27054/
            Terry
            Terry

Comment

Ok so if its solderable its polyester and non solderable then Enamel?

Are they wrong to say that 155 is soldeable? or just that they call it PE?

Where are the UK guys then? I thought there were a few on here?

Cheers

Comment

I agree it is pretty confusing.
                Look at this MWS App.
                You can look at different specs of different wires.
                MWS Wire Industries - Magnet Wire Specifications
                B_T

**Edit
                The Polyurethane Nylon 155 is what most wire vendors sell as SPN, or HPN. (Single or Heavy Poly Nylon)
                In the App you will see PE and Formvar.
                Those 2 are the Vintage Wires of Old.
                Terry

Comment

Working...
                X