underwound 43awg pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underwound 43awg pickup

Ok so I thought I would give winding a s.d. screaming demon a shot .did some google searches and most believe its wound with 43awg to 10.0kohms..so I found a screaming demon measured it and it has balanced coils of just a bit over 5.0....I wound one up and plugged it in and it is really weak.I have a jcm900 with the gain at 8 and it sound sounds like I'm on the clean channel.what gives I'm at a lose.

Can you give us more details.
    It looks like a Humbucker with A5 Magnets.
    Looks like one bobbin has screws with a keeper bar and the other has allen set screws?
    Is this correct?
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I believe a screamin demon has one side fillister screws & one side allen head screws .
      Using 2 screw bobbins ,The allen side screws are shorter & hardly stick through the baseplate
      I have never had one apart ,but i am curious if it has 2 keepers
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yes one coil has screws and the other allen heads.alnico v magnet.43awg wound to 10.4 roughly. Balanced coils to the same number of turns.I even went and rewound the screw coil a second time thinking I did something wrong.it has no guts.its completely clean sounding with a gain heavy amp.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruitt View Post
          Yes one coil has screws and the other allen heads.alnico v magnet.43awg wound to 10.4 roughly. Balanced coils to the same number of turns.I even went and rewound the screw coil a second time thinking I did something wrong.it has no guts.its completely clean sounding with a gain heavy amp.
          Is it possible that it's out of phase?
          feed the start of one coil, and tie the finish leads together and ground the start of Other coil.
          Or, accomplish the same as above with a 4-Wire Cable.
          Both coils wound in the same direction.
          Make sure there is no space between the magnet and the allen screws.
          There should be a keeper bar on the Fillister screw coil.
          Make sure the magnet is properly charged.
          Make sure the screws on both coils are steel and will stick well to a magnet.
          It should work.
          I apologize if I was too elementary, but don't know your level of winding.
          Good Luck,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Triple checked all my wireing. And both coils have a spacer bar and the magnet is charges and against the keeper bars.it works its just really weak.I'm no expert. I am thinking maybe 43 gauge underwound to 10k just can't be done?

Comment

Triple checked all my wireing. And both coils have a spacer bar and the magnet is charges and against the keeper bars.it works its just really weak.I'm no expert. I am thinking maybe 43 gauge underwound to 10k just can't be done?
              I have not done one at 10k with 43 gauge.
              I make a hybrid that has one bobbin at 5k 42, and one bobbin 8k 43, and it is far from weak.
              For the sake of the experiment, put more wire on the bobbins.
              Try different magnets if you have them.
              I make a 10k with 42SPN with Ceramics, and it is real hot also.
              Did you check to make sure all your screws and keepers are magnetic, and no stainless steel?
              Good Luck,
              Terry
              Terry

Comment

A 10k bucker with 43 gauge wire should be equivalent to a 8k humbucker wound with 42 gauge wire .thats for number of turns but its not going to be louder
                ???
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

10k of 43 awg can be done just fine. You say it's weak, is it just quiet with a normal tone, or is it very heavy on the treble indicating it could be out of phase? Try wiring one (just one) of the coils backward, as big T mentioned.

Do you actually read 10k if you measure the resistance of the assembled pickup?
                  Sine Guitars
                  Low-Impedance Pickups

http://sineguitars.webs.com

Comment

It sounds like to me you are just activating one coil.
                    If your only using one coil it would be weak.
                    If you are using a 4 wire cable for series wiring, try reading start to start and That you have the 10k DCR Total.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

How full are your bobbins comparatively? If you wind the same ohmic value and the build are different sizes, you need a different wire gauge.

Comment

The alloy/permeability of your polepieces is also important. Awhile back an ebayer was selling black powder coated 18-8 stainless steel replacement polescrews. Lol
                        Ethan

Comment

Ok so I thought I would give winding a s.d. screaming demon a shot .did some google searches and most believe its wound with 43awg to 10.0kohms..so I found a screaming demon measured it and it has balanced coils of just a bit over 5.0....I wound one up and plugged it in and it is really weak.I have a jcm900 with the gain at 8 and it sound sounds like I'm on the clean channel.what gives I'm at a lose.
                          Do you have the two coils wired the right way? You wire them out-of-phase, start to start, or finish to finish. Is it humming?
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Not sure how I did it but it was out of phase.I must have gotten my wire colors wrong coming from the coil wires.thanks for everyone help on this one.I triple checked and everything looked right.anyways this thing sounds so good.middle of the road gain wise but dang is it crystal clear.

Comment

Great News!
                              It happens to all of us.
                              Glad it sounds good.
                              If Lynch played it, there had to be some merit to it!
                              Good Luck,
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X