Magnet wire Size!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    You can get 40 and 41 AWG in poly very easily, and cheaply. I use it all the time. There's really no need to get it in PE, especially for experimenting. Get some in poly and see if you like it. If you come up with a pickup you like with the poly, switching to PE wont get you anything better.
    I just ordered some 41 SPN, and some 42 HPN.
    I will let you know how I like it later.
    There is a wide variation in wires, but most of it IMO Relates to wire size.
    T
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I just ordered some 41 SPN, and some 42 HPN.
      I will let you know how I like it later.
      There is a wide variation in wires, but most of it IMO Relates to wire size.
      T
      T
      I Recieved the wire I ordered Today.
      I ordered some 41 SPN Red, and 42 HPN in Natural.
      I ordered it From Remington Industries.
      I am very impressed with the Service, Price, and the Wire they sent me.
      They Micd. the wire for me, before I ordered. No surprises.
      Very Professional Service.
      I highly recommend them.
      They give Volume Discounts.
      Magnet Wire
      Click on the wire Spool to get the price.
      You can email them with any questions.
      Tell them Your on the MEF Pickup Makers Forum, and that Terry Recommended them.
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
        Unless I misunderstood the conversation, I believe 6lbs is the minimum for those gauges. $180 or so for an experiment is substantial, but reasonable considering I'm sure I can use the wire for something, even if not PAFs. I agree though, that 10 times that would be excessive! Definitely.

Next time I order, I'll inquire again and likely order the 41 gauge if 6lbs is indeed the minimum.
        I got my answer from MWS. 41AWG, which is presently in stock, has only a 5lb minimum. The 41.5AWG is not in stock and would have a 120lb minimum. So that answers that. So far a very pleasant experience with the company, as well.

Comment

I got my answer from MWS. 41AWG, which is presently in stock, has only a 5lb minimum. The 41.5AWG is not in stock and would have a 120lb minimum. So that answers that. So far a very pleasant experience with the company, as well.
          I sure enjoyed dealing with Remington Industries.
          Magnet Wire
          They seem to be cheaper on some products, and seem more consistent on prices.
          I have bought from MWS in the past, but I never get the same price structure from them.
          How much was the price on the 41 PE?
          Terry
          Terry

Comment

I Made One Strat Neck pickup with the 41 Ga. SPN.
            The wire is 13.8 Ohms per 10 Feet.
            The wire measures .0031 O.D.
            Just a little Larger than 42 HFV.
            I was surprised how clear and Articulate sounding the Pickup sounds, especially on the Bass Strings.
            IMO it Has that Pre CBS Woody Sound.
            So far I'm Very impressed with the sound of the Pickup Used with this Wire.
            More Tests to follow.
            B_T
            Terry

Comment

I Made One Strat Neck pickup with the 41 Ga. SPN.
              The wire is 13.8 Ohms per 10 Feet.
              The wire measures .0031 O.D.
              Just a little Larger than 42 HFV.
              I was surprised how clear and Articulate sounding the Pickup sounds, especially on the Bass Strings.
              IMO it Has that Pre CBS Woody Sound.
              So far I'm Very impressed with the sound of the Pickup Used with this Wire.
              More Tests to follow.
              B_T
              I have done more experimenting with the big 41SPN wire.
              If you like a real bright Single coil this will work.
              However to get a rounder tone, I've had to make the bobbin shorter, and that really limits the amount of wire, and DCR.
              I Also have the large per gauge 42 HPN that is .00297" and 16 Ohms per 10 feet.
              It is still plenty big, and is closer tone wise, to what I was shooting for.
              With the 41 SPN. it measures .0031, and is around 13.5 Ohms per 10 feet.
              a full strat coil of this wire is around 4k, and is still very bright.
              Probably can't affordably find it, but I think 41.5 Min/Nom Gauge SPN would be a good compromise.
              BTW the larger 42HPN sounds much better than the 42 Gauge HFV that I have in stock.
              And, don't forget the price difference.
              $30 a pound for the HFV, and $12+ for the HPN Natural.
              It seems to be more durable, has a hige abrasive rating, is very slick, and much easier to work with and solder.
              So My Quest Goes on for the perfect Strat Neck Holy Grail Pickup.
              But, Getting Closer!
              T
              Terry

Comment

More winding with the larger 42 HPN.
                It makes an excellent neck pickup.
                Has that 50s 60s Open articulate sound.
                No Mud with these.
                I wound up with a inside coil winding height of .430-.435 inches.
                I use slightly staggered A5 magnets, non staggered would work well also.
                Wound to 5.7-5.85k DCR seems to be best. Light scatter TPL.
                IMO .0029- .0030 inches is ideal for a great pre CBS Neck Pickup.
                Now I need to get the Super Reverb built to play them on!
                B_T
                ** I did prove to myself that wire Diameter and Ohms per foot determines the sound, not Insulation type.
                You can buy the HFV if You must, but IMO you will not get any better sound.
                You can buy 2-1/2 lbs of HPN for the price of 1 Pound of HFV.
                Terry

Comment

For Magnet Wire I recommend Remington Industries.
                  Magnet Wire
                  They have gone to great lengths to measure spools of wire for me, to get the size I was searching for.
                  Larry, the Sales guy there will work with you.
                  They specialize mainly in SPN, and HPN wires.
                  They give discounts for volume buying, and they are starting to put wire on smaller spools.
                  If you compare their prices to others, they are probably cheaper, and their Shipping seems to run about 1/2 of some other suppliers.
                  Tell them that Terry at the Pickup forum sent you.
                  Terry
                  Terry

Comment

I just noticed we're both from "Rockvilles" Great name for a town!
                    Or an Island "The Rock"
                    Last edited by David Schwab; 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM. Reason: fixed closing quote tag
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

For Magnet Wire I recommend Remington Industries.
                      Magnet Wire
                      They have gone to great lengths to measure spools of wire for me, to get the size I was searching for.
                      Larry, the Sales guy there will work with you.
                      They specialize mainly in SPN, and HPN wires.
                      They give discounts for volume buying, and they are starting to put wire on smaller spools.
                      If you compare their prices to others, they are probably cheaper, and their Shipping seems to run about 1/2 of some other suppliers.
                      Tell them that Terry at the Pickup forum sent you.
                      Terry
                      Terry, just so you know, I ordered some wire from Remington and mentioned you put in a good word for them on this forum.
                      regards,
                      tony

Comment

Originally posted by StarryNight View Post
                        Terry, just so you know, I ordered some wire from Remington and mentioned you put in a good word for them on this forum.
                        regards,
                        tony
                        Good for You Tony:
                        What size did you order.
                        So far I've bought 5 spools of wire from them.
                        I'm going broke, Saving Money!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Good for You Tony:
                          What size did you order.
                          So far I've bought 5 spools of wire from them.
                          I'm going broke, Saving Money!
                          T
                          I ordered 42 and 43 awg spn at $12.68/lb. It's hard to justify paying for plain enamel at $39.87/lb. I'll just keep what PE I have left for vintage rewinds and special orders. I know what you mean about the money - easy come, easy go!

Comment

I have been trying to order some wire from Remington but they want $70 bucks to ship it here so that makes there wire more costly than mws wire
                            I did ask if they would use USPS priority mail international & they have not got back to me
                            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                              I have been trying to order some wire from Remington but they want $70 bucks to ship it here so that makes there wire more costly than mws wire
                              I did ask if they would use USPS priority mail international & they have not got back to me
                              On their Ebay store they wanted $60 shipping for one spool to BC. I went to their website's store and for two spools they calculated $40 shipping. I went for the latter

Comment

Originally posted by StarryNight View Post
                                On their Ebay store they wanted $60 shipping for one spool to BC. I went to their website's store and for two spools they calculated $40 shipping. I went for the latter
                                I'm in the 48.
                                But, I always talk to Larry and I have him put all the wire in the same box to save shipping.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X