Magnet wire Size!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet wire Size!

Was wondering if anyone has tried any of the heavier gauge wires?
    Wondering what 40, & 41SPN, would sound like on a strat coil?
    Would it Sound brighter, or sound about like 42 gauge?
    I think there would be plenty of room on the bobbin.
    B_T
    Last edited by big_teee; 01-24-2012, 02:14 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I use both 40 and 41 on bass pickups. I haven't tried it on guitar pickups. It get a clean bright tone with a round hollow low end. Think of like a Jazzmaster compared to a Strat. It has less midrange than 42. It's good for neck pickups if you want a clean jazzy tone.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      I use both 40 and 41 on bass pickups. I haven't tried it on guitar pickups. It get a clean bright tone with a round hollow low end. Think of like a Jazzmaster compared to a Strat. It has less midrange than 42. It's good for neck pickups if you want a clean jazzy tone.
      Seen lots of Strats, never had the privilege to get my hands on a Jazzmaster.
      Found some 41 at a pretty good price, thought it would be fun to experiment.
      Really 41.5 would be great, but haven't seen any of that readily available, without special order.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

The old charlie Christian pups were 38-40 awg, Remember when you use it you will get a much lower DC but a higher output. At least that has been my experience with it. We did a 2.8k with some 38k and it was as loud as a 7.8k single coil.
        Shut up and play

Peace and Tone The Rain Mann

Comment

I've got plans to do some testing with 41.5AWG and 41AWG PE in a PAF format but I won't see the wire for at least 7-8 weeks. I want to hear what the different copper:enamel ratio will do.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
            I've got plans to do some testing with 41.5AWG and 41AWG PE in a PAF format but I won't see the wire for at least 7-8 weeks. I want to hear what the different copper:enamel ratio will do.
            That sounds interesting.
            I am wanting to try some 41spn on some Strat SCs.
            Don't have a clue where you would get the 41.5, and 41 AWG In PE?
            Sounds real expensive!
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              That sounds interesting.
              I am wanting to try some 41spn on some Strat SCs.
              Don't have a clue where you would get the 41.5, and 41 AWG In PE?
              Sounds real expensive!
              T

MWS Copper Wire Manufacturer, Specialty Wire Manufacturer

I talked to Brian. Not on hand presently, but he said they'll make it.

Comment

MWS Copper Wire Manufacturer, Specialty Wire Manufacturer

I talked to Brian. Not on hand presently, but he said they'll make it.
                Trust me It's gonna Cost You! I Bet?
                T
                Terry

Comment

I'll find out soon.

Comment

Having to buy a 5 to 6 lb spool of PE is a little costly for a gauge of wire you may never use .
                    Each to there own
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Some of the not so common wire & or if your looking for a certain color that MWS carries has a mimimun order & its not one spool it's something like 10 or more
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Unless I misunderstood the conversation, I believe 6lbs is the minimum for those gauges. $180 or so for an experiment is substantial, but reasonable considering I'm sure I can use the wire for something, even if not PAFs. I agree though, that 10 times that would be excessive! Definitely.

Next time I order, I'll inquire again and likely order the 41 gauge if 6lbs is indeed the minimum.

Comment

Unless I misunderstood the conversation, I believe 6lbs is the minimum for those gauges. $180 or so for an experiment is substantial, but reasonable considering I'm sure I can use the wire for something, even if not PAFs. I agree though, that 10 times that would be excessive! Definitely.

Next time I order, I'll inquire again and likely order the 41 gauge if 6lbs is indeed the minimum.
                          Hang in there.
                          It will Either Get worse or get Better!
                          If 180 is what it costs for a special gauge that will not be too bad.
                          I just ordered some 42HPN, and some 41SPN.
                          I should have it next week.
                          I am going to see if a 42 HPN Strat coil sounds as good as a 42 HFV.
                          I will have both to experiment with.
                          The small spool of 41 SPN is for experimenting also.
                          B_T
                          Terry

Comment

I just noticed we're both from "Rockvilles" Great name for a town!

I'm generally doing lower turn counts so I've got enough room on my bobbins that I'd like to try a slightly heavier gauge and see how things sound. If I can pull a hair more clarity and slightly more detailed low end out of the same wind with a 41 or 41.5 AWG PE (versus 42), I'll be happy. If not, I'll have at least learned something so win/win.

Comment

You can get 40 and 41 AWG in poly very easily, and cheaply. I use it all the time. There's really no need to get it in PE, especially for experimenting. Get some in poly and see if you like it. If you come up with a pickup you like with the poly, switching to PE wont get you anything better.
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X