Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very High DCR in a Gibson BR-9 Lap Steel Pickup

Hello MEF Pickup Community,

I have done some searching here and on google but found nothing that really applies to this topic. I bought a Gibson BR-9 lap steel & amp (about 1949 era) that had been neglected and shows some moisture damage. The pickup has a faux turtle shell top plate and bottom and looks like the pics that were in an earlier (maybe a couple of years old) thread. The pole pieces are very rusty. When I put my meter on the leads, it measures about 400k and as I hold the leads the meter reading starts to drop little by little. It never does really stabilize. Some of the other threads I read talked about the possibility that the magnets are weak and that the rust may affect the preformance of the pickup.

I would like to have the pickup looked at by a pro but I don't know of any winder/builders in the Minneapolis area. If it needs to be re-wound, I would be fine with that. I know that some of you folks like to do rewinds on these vintage pieces and I'd be happy to send the pickup to someone and pay to have it re-wound or whatever it takes to get it working.

Any advise on getting this pickup working would be appreciated.

Scott

I think David S just answered part of my question in another thread when he mentioned holding the meter leads in your hands when taking a reading. When I use jumper wires, the pickup shows open so I'll take another look at it but I'd guess it will still need repair.

Scott

Comment

Yeah, sounds like the coil is open. Probably corroded inside the coil.

If you grab the two probe ends of a meter with your fingers, you will read the resistance of your body. That's why it's a good idea not to hold the wires against the probes with your fingers. I use test clips that splip over the probes.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Check with Jason Lollar and see if he is taking repair work right now, he knows his way around old lap steel pickups.

Comment

Working...
        X