new pickup winding machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pickup winding machine

When I was at NAMM Alex at woo song chorus wanted to show me thier new winding machine prototype- it puts the other small comercial made machine to shame. This new winder has a programmable shut off, the counter goes up in the 10,000 range, the speed is variable from around 40 rpm to 3,000 and the motor is heavy duty- you wont slow it down with wire tension thats for sure. It has push button on and off and reset. The wire guide is a similar setup to the other winder.
    I would say dont waste your money on the other one if you want to buy something ready to roll this would be the best thing out there, still in the prototype stage though.

Did they mention Ball Park how many banks we need to rob, and what it may sell for?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I have seen a few new winders coming out. I still love my Gorman, but many have the one thing mine is lacking and that is a directional switch.
      Shut up and play

Peace and Tone The Rain Mann

Comment

My interest is piqued. Mine works fine, but I can't expect it to last forever.

Comment

they dont have it priced yet and are still working on some construction details but I was very impressed having run my own design and very old mechanical comercial winders, this is heavy duty. Having a programmable counter and wide range of speed and a heavy duty motor for all day use----- got to have it. I have run the other common winder- WAY too slow, no auto shut off and the motor is too weak to last very long

Comment

Jason, When you mention the other common winder are you refering to the ws-2000 from Remington Industries (Made by MCS)?

Comment

Computer Programmable Winding Machine - Model WS-2000 Details | Remington Industries
              It costs a mere $6450.

I think Jason was probably referring to the one Stewmac sells, the Schatten which costs around $350.
              Last edited by David King; 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I would need to sell more than a Pickup a Month, If I bought that!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I was considering purchasing that winder and I was hoping Jason would have an insight or two to share about that particular machine.

Comment

I havent used that programable machine- I have an old tanac someone gave me. I have only used it on prototyping some rhoades pickups for vintage vibe keyboards.
                    I have used the other remington- thats an old 40's or 50's design made extremely well. It has the same cam inside that the leesona uses but tpl and traverse distance is adjustable on the fly- very savvy design. Easily adjustable mechanically, you can set tpl in a few minutes by trial and error where the computer design you just do a little math and punch in the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                      I have used the other remington- thats an old 40's or 50's design made extremely well. It has the same cam inside that the leesona uses but tpl and traverse distance is adjustable on the fly- very savvy design. Easily adjustable mechanically, you can set tpl in a few minutes by trial and error where the computer design you just do a little math and punch in the numbers.
                      I have two of the older mechanical traverse Remingtons and also a Leesona 102. I'll have to open up the Remington to confirm but I'm pretty sure the cam traverse adjustment is different on the Leesona 102. The Leesona cam mechanism is certainly way too big to fit in the Remington. Maybe it is scaled down in the Remington but I doubt it. You can adjust the traverse travel on the fly with the Leesona 102 though.
                      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                      www.throbak.com
                      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

I also have 2 of the remington winders made for Rea wire. Both are fitted with programable Durant counters. One of them I have restored and modified for my uses and the other is missing the traverse adjustment arm and friction wheel, so I just use that one for hand winding. I like them because they are portable, unlike my boesch or stevens winders.
                        Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

yes the cam is likely to be smaller than the leesona- i have only seen drawings of that cam in the leesona manual but those are designed with a mathmatical formula so they would be the same- there are websites about cam designs- there are alot of ways to make a constant velocity cam but they all follow the same mathmatical formula like the fishing reel cam is the same thing but its laid out on a cylinder instead of on one plane. The cam in the rea is about 1-1/4" average diameter. you use to see the rea or remingtons on ebay back 10 years + but I havent seen one since.

Comment

Yep, The cam is about 1-1/4". I bought my 2 winders a couple years ago for next to nothing and both came with the Durant counters. I like them because you can pick them up and set them anywhere and wind away.
                            Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

MK-881
                              I've been using this machine for about 8 years with no real problems. Good compny to work with. My machine was about $2k when i got it, not sure about now.
                              I've switched the tentioner to a ceramic comb type and it works fine. I'm far from a computer geek and this controller is pretty simple to use. 3 speed levels with infinite speeds in between. reversable, stop and start anywhere you like.width of bobbin is all controlable. Anyway, another option to look at. dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X