No announcement yet.

Marshall JCM900 Valve change and bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They may be stock. Parts change all the time, that is why I mentioned the schematic you posted is the 14th version of that circuit.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
      I think I need a Time Out. This amp is the JCM 900 100W Hi Gain Dual Reverb. I check a couple web sites for the schematic. But the PC board that is in the amp (PC0112) does not have the same value R28 and VR2 as shown on the schematic. R28 has a 68K and VR2 measures out to be 17K. I am searching other Marshall schematics but do not see anything else out there.
      Then maybe somebody modded it.
      Too large R28 means negative voltage will be larger than normal and too small VR2 (did you measure it in circuit? not a standard value; normalized ones are 22/25k or 47/50k ) woukd mean smaller adjustment range.
      47k and 47k as specified shoud give the proper range.
      And basically follow Factory suggestions; biasing by % dissipation is Internet nonsense, sadly spread like Gospel.
      Of course, Internet is run 99.98% by amateur non Engineers; Factory ones rarely have the time or inclination.
      Follow schematic values and all should be fine:
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The 22K bias pot and series 68K resistor are in the issue 7 circuit.
        See page 10 of attached pdf
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There you go.

I still think the message to take is just put in the thing whatever values you NEED to make it work to your liking. Ignore the steady march of schematics across the galaxy.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks again everyone... and thanks Greg for the EL34 conversion schematic. The amp is up and running... neighbor is very happy!
            It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Just to add that the later Marshall 5881 is a Shuguang 5881/6L6WGC.

Comment

Working...
              X