power cords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power cords

I'd like to hear from anyone with an opinion on replacement power cords for vintage amps, such as: Do you feel there is a audible or operationally significant difference in larger gauge wire, or plug type? What do you recommend? What are your sources for the parts, etc.?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I think 18AWG cords with molded plugs are just fine for most vintage guitar amps like the one listed at 311010-01 Qualtek AC Power Cords
    I don't believe there is an audible or operationally significant difference in using larger gauge wire. The exception might becords for large, 300W+ amps.

Comment

The significant change in operation is the removal of the electrocution hazard a 2-wire cord represents.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        The significant change in operation is the removal of the electrocution hazard a 2-wire cord represents.
        You call THAT significant... Pfffft.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A few years back I interviewed for a position in the electrical engineering department at the local university. One of the tech questions they asked was "how much current through your body is most painful?" (emphasis added) Beats me, I couldn;t say if the most painful is also the most lethal.

I used to work with a guy, and we were assigned to replace a wall outlet on some location. I asked him "shouldn;t we turn off the breaker first?" Nah, he says, it's only 120v, no problem. He then immediately proceeded to grab the hot leads as he grasped the outlet,and WWZZZXXZZZWZZTT. "Uh... Enzo, would you mind going and flipping off that breaker?" NO, not at all.

I ran into an electrician who had it figured out. He told me: 120v tingles, 240v hurts, 440v hurts up to your elbow, 880v is dangerous.

I'm not sure what he did with three-phase.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I remember an oooooolddddd Italian electrician who to check whether there was power connected or not, touched the live wire or parts.
            On inspection, the tips of his fingers had a callous layer, say, almost 1/8" thick.
            Don´t know what would have happened if he just brushed said wires with the back of his hand or any other normal skin.
            Well, yes , I fact I can imagine, we are talking 220V here.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Some ppl can do that. It depends on body chemistry. If you have real dry low acidity skin, you can get away with it. Those who sweat alot with high acid content surely cannot.
              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

+1
                All the variables, sweat, hydration level, salinity, etc. can change in an individual and affect a persons conductivity. touching wires to see if they're live is a bad idea no matter what. It just invites the possibility of a fatal mistake.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I really hate that music industry advertisers are borrowing from the lunatic fringe hifi tweakos so much. It dilutes down any reality that the non-techie might otherwise get. It amounts to selling "electronic cosmetics". Literally - functions the same, looks better.

Here's a reality check: the AC power you're using to power an amp comes from maybe 100miles away, up to across the continent or country with power grids the way they are. You have zero control of the 'purity' of those power lines. So with 100miles of purely unknown 'power cord' leading to your wall socket that you can't do anything about, how much good will you do replacing the last 6-10 feet of power cord?

The law of diminishing returns is brutal in cases like this. When your power cord lets enough current through so that it is not dropping off a significant amount of the AC voltage within the power cord, making a new cord out of solid silver welding cables two inches thick will not help any more. Nor will cryogenically conditioning the power cable, putting a water jacket on it (seriously - this was a hifi tweako product), specifying it for hospital or military use, coiling it, rubbing snake oil on it, whatever.

Only if the original power cable was deficient in some way will it help. That's possible, but it's not what's being sold. The third 'anti-death' wire is a good upgrade, but it won't change the sound much except for reducing hum for certain mild defects in the amp. Just like cosmetics, if you think your amp is better now that it's got Mega-Hyper Cable (tm), it'll make YOUR internal mental perception of your music better by placebo effect. But your audience may not get the same placebo effect.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

My favorite thing about big power cords is that I'm less likely to damage them with years of mistreatment. Also, when installing a new power cord I like to make it generously long so I never need an extension cord.

As noted, unless a power cord is rediculous thin wire it makes no difference. The grounded cable is ALWAYS the way to go for any amp that will be used. As is, not just sitting on a shelf for display. For display purposes on a collectible the original 2 conductor cord is vastly superior

Comment

when installing a new power cord I like to make it generously long so I never need an extension cord.
                      I do the same, I've installed up to 12' cords in some of my amps. Sometimes it's hard to stuff that much cord into an amp but it's a lot better than having to dick around with an extension cord.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                        Some ppl can do that. It depends on body chemistry. If you have real dry low acidity skin, you can get away with it. Those who sweat alot with high acid content surely cannot.
                        the classic chem teacher trick is to wash your hands in acetone to dry them and then hold a piece of damp metal in a pair of tongs, pour HCl on the metal which will smoke impressively and continue pouring up your arm with little effect.

doesn't work as well with tongues...and don't use nitric acid!

Comment

Working...
                        X