X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need schematic for hum cancelling jazz bass pickups

Hello everybody,
    new in town,
    I need a schematic for hum canselling vintage style jazz bass pickups, I am planing to use it as input stage (buffer) to an existing 3band eq.
    I was looking for info in old posts with no lack.
    Thank you in advance,

Yiannis Ioannides.

You want a schematic for a pickup? Pickups don't have schematics.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi David,
      thank you for answering in my thread and I know that you have the answer to my question,as you mention about it at list two times in your older posts. You see I have spend many hours during last 4 years reading the pickup forum.All the infos I got from all of you help me a lot in my work (I am bass builder since 1992).
      I am very grateful to all of you for that knowledges.
      I have setup a winding machine and make many tests and came with the results that pickup building its very simple-complicated !!! no final product till now but I like it.
      You write that active hum canselling pickups color the sound but I want to give it a try and if I have good results I will post it (I have 6 years experience with on board preamps).

Thank you for your time,
      All the best to you and ours,
      Yiannis Ioannides.

Comment

Welcome to the pickup-maker's ghetto Yiannis,

A buffer schematic with balanced input?

If you don't need the balanced input I'd think just a J-fet stratoblaster might work.

Undoubtedly there are dozens of dual input buffer chips with very low noise, low current draw. The datasheets will supply all the schematics you'll probably ever need.

Comment

THAT 1510 and 1512 seem like they might be of interest if you are looking for an opamp that's still available in a DIP8. The specs are all pretty good until you get to current draw which is a whopping 6ma, about 10 times more than your typical LM442 etc.

Comment

Hi David,
            thank you for your replay,
            stratoblaster will amplify hum to from a jazz bass single coil, so it's not work for me,
            THAT 1510 seems to be nice but 6ma current draw is to high for on board preamp (ideal will be under 1ma).
            The devise it's not necessary to be DIP8 package, can be surface mount ether (I can soldered at the back side of pcb board).
            Well that's all for now,lets hear a nice song,
            dedicated to all forum members.
            Johnny Cash - I've Been Everywhere - YouTube

Comment

Try this then: LS204

Comment

Thank you David,
                need to do a research and I'll come back.

Comment

Originally posted by odyyiannis View Post
                  stratoblaster will amplify hum to from a jazz bass single coil, so it's not work for me,
                  As will any preamp. They all amplify the signal and magnetic hum together. The problem with a sc pickup is that it does not cancel hum from magnetic fields as a humbucker does. No preamp, not even differential input can do that. Magnetic hum must be canceled using two or more coils

Comment

Hi Mike,
                    transformer maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by odyyiannis View Post
                      Hi Mike,
                      transformer maybe?
                      No, same problem as a differential amp. The pickup uses the law of magnetic induction to sense the string and hum fields. You need to use the same law to cancel it.

Comment

All those "noiseless" J pickups are either stacked coils or split coils or single string coils with equalized turns*areas.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                          All those "noiseless" J pickups are either stacked coils or split coils or single string coils with equalized turns*areas.
                          Not all of them. Both the Joe Barden and my Neo Jazzbuckers are dual rail humbuckers. I also make sidewinders in a J case. But stacks and splits are the most common.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Oops! sorry I forgot about the rails and hbs! I'll go taste a 9v battery and repent for my inattention.

Comment

Hi guess,
                              interesting, so options are:stacked coils (not so good alternatives for me),split coils (sound's good, but not 100% hum free particularly 5 strings),single string coils (not familiar with them),rails (as I hear David's Schwab's sidewinders they worth a check),hbs (?).
                              According to your opinion witch ones are the best alternatives ?

Comment

Working...
                              X