Formvar & more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    On each coil, as others have stated. This was a Dimarzio patent that has since run out. They do it on a lot of their humbuckers.

There are pickups with two gauges on each coil. Luthier Harvey Citron does this, and Peavey recently got a patent on it.
    David, will shooting this pickup with a bit of lacquer to bind things, hurt anything? I just want to give those lead wires a little more support.

thanks Ange

Comment

Originally posted by angelodp View Post
      David, will shooting this pickup with a bit of lacquer to bind things, hurt anything? I just want to give those lead wires a little more support.

thanks Ange
      No, that shouldn't cause any problems. Some pickups are potted in lacquer.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Here is the contact Info for BAE Wire.
        If you need anything, You can email or call.

Teena Ridicoloso
        BAE Wire & Insulation Inc.
        941-309-0900 Phone
        941-309-9473 Fax
        TeenaR@baewire.com

** Teena emailed me back with HFV Prices.
        The current price is
        43 HEAVY FORMVAR 3" SPOOLS MW15/105C $33.75/LB
        42 HEAVY FORMVAR 3" SPOOLS MW15/105C $29.50/LB

Edit*** Small rolls of 42, & 43 HFV are now available at the BAE Ebay store.
        stores.ebay.com/BAE-MAGNET-WIRE
        What would be the difference between this part of the spec between two specs on 42 AWG?

MW15/105C (for 42 HFV) and
        MW80/155C (for 42 HPN)

I know, another real beginner question. Something to do with the temperature to melt the insulation? Is one temperature rating preferred to another when it comes to winding?

Thanks in advance.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
          What would be the difference between this part of the spec between two specs on 42 AWG?

MW15/105C (for 42 HFV) and
          MW80/155C (for 42 HPN)

I know, another real beginner question. Something to do with the temperature to melt the insulation? Is one temperature rating preferred to another when it comes to winding?

Thanks in advance.
          You have probably already been looking at this site.
          MWS Wire Industries - Magnet Wire Specifications
          It shows all the wire and info.
          The wire will sound very close to the same.
          As long as the wire is the same diameter OD, and is the same Ohms per foot, It should IMO Sound the same.
          The PE, and HFV is primarily still being made for the vintage guys.
          Actually if you read the specs the Polyurethane Nylon is as tough, is slicker, easier to wind, has a higher heat rating than HFV.
          The HPN is easily soldered without stripping, and you can get over 2 lbs of the HPN for 1 Pound of HFV.
          But it wouldn't hurt to own both.
          I have both and I think the HPN sounds the best, but my HPN is a little larger than my HFV.
          I buy my wire here.
          Magnet Wire
          Good Luck,
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
            Something to do with the temperature to melt the insulation?
            Yes

Is one temperature rating preferred to another when it comes to winding?
            Not unless you are playing a really hot solo!
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post

Not unless you are playing a really hot solo!
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
              X