Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10" Speaker in 8" hole ?? Why not...........Right ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" Speaker in 8" hole ?? Why not...........Right ?

I can't see any reason why not, I know its not ideal.It's a low power amp.

I just don't want to buy a jigsaw ! Thanks

OK.... what ever turns your crank...
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

It probably won't excrude enough to flap on the baffle. So maybe your OK there. But you still won't be increasing your air movement much without opening the baffle. In fact, there could even be some phase cancellation of certain frequencies due to the baffle overlap. So what's the point? To get the advantage of a bigger speaker you need to let it move some air. If you don't open up the hole you gain nothing. You may even lose some or at worst you'll have the speaker slapping on the baffle.

I know what broke is as well as anyone. But if you can afford to change a speaker you can afford a jigsaw. Go knock on the nearest nieghbors door and ask to borrow a jigsaw. Go to the local middle school and see if the woodshop teacher would like to do a demonstration and use your amp. It's a guitar amp so that could be slightly more interesting than another project. Someone you know has a jigsaw. They cost about as much as a weeks worth of latte's.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        It probably won't excrude enough to flap on the baffle. So maybe your OK there. But you still won't be increasing your air movement much without opening the baffle. In fact, there could even be some phase cancellation of certain frequencies due to the baffle overlap. So what's the point? To get the advantage of a bigger speaker you need to let it move some air. If you don't open up the hole you gain nothing. You may even lose some or at worst you'll have the speaker slapping on the baffle.

I know what broke is as well as anyone. But if you can afford to change a speaker you can afford a jigsaw. Go knock on the nearest nieghbors door and ask to borrow a jigsaw. Go to the local middle school and see if the woodshop teacher would like to do a demonstration and use your amp. It's a guitar amp so that could be slightly more interesting than another project. Someone you know has a jigsaw. They cost about as much as a weeks worth of latte's.
        Why not just use a coping saw and do it by hand?

Comment

Sure. +1. It's one hole. You can get a coping saw for less than ten bucks (US).
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I bet it will be a bit louder, take the power better and have better bass response anyhow. Here's my guess why,
            the outer ribbed suspension on the 10" speaker's cone (very little sound from that area ) will be behind the baffle board, where as the suspension on the 8" speaker is in the hole so only 7" of the 8" speaker makes most of the sound.
            The hole for an 8" speaker is about 7" in diameter exposing most of the business end of a 10" speaker cone.
            Just a thought....
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

I agree, I think the extra tone should be able to squeeze itself out of the 8" hole fine. In fact I think the smaller hole could give better dispersion, kind of like Weber's beam blocker, except blocking the edges, not the centre of the speaker.

The only issue is, as mentioned, the cone may actually hit the baffle when you play loud bass notes, and that would sound really bad. To fix that you'd need some sort of "tone ring" spacer. And to make the spacer you'd need a saw...

A jigsaw is a pretty useful tool to have anyway, IMO.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I admit to installing a 12" jukebox speaker in my 10" cabinet when I was in my teens. I thought it sounded a lot better!
                I had access to a drill and was able to get the speaker studs out and moved. (I can't remember any problems, and it was louder!)

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Surely you have a buddy that has the tools to cut a new faceplate for the larger speaker. that way you can preserve the original state of the amp.

Or if it's not a highly valuable amp just cut the hole larger.
                  Stop by my web page!

Comment

Working...
                  X