Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from new member and What speaker for 5e3 Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from new member and What speaker for 5e3 Kit?

Hi, I am a 49 year old guitar enthusiast who has been playing since I was 13. I have recently built my self a couple of very impressive Fender style guitars, of my 10 guitars they are the best to play by far. Anyway I want to try my hand at building my own amp. I have been researching the web and Mission Amps comes up a lot as the only place to go. I want to build a 5e3 type amp but I want to add reverb, my current amp is a twin reverb but it is simply too big for what I do these days, I mostly play in church nowadays, and have to have my volume set so low that the sound is thin and colourless. So the answer is to get a smaller amp, and as building my guitars was so successful I want to build my own. I can get my own reverb tank easily enough if they can’t supply one but would need advice on how to modify the amp to use it. To keep the amp looking original I was thinking about putting the controls for the reverb inside the cab, do you think this is workable or would you have a better solution? I cant imagine that I would be the first to want to add reverb to this type of amp.
    I have recently joined Music Electronics Forum, and have seen many helpful posts from Bruce, and I think I will learn alot from here in the next few months, there is plenty of reading for me to do. I don't want to order anything for a few months as the sting from Christmas is still hurting too much to spend more money. I plan to build my own cabinet so any advice on materials to use and where to find a pattern would be welcome. I have no idea what I want for a speaker, my twin has the original Celestians in it, I also have a Fender Power Chorus which from memory has “Fender special design” (whatever that means) speakers. I recently bought a Fender Mustang 1 for the smaller room but I don’t really like it, it is more complicated than I want and the sounds aren’t that great. It was cheap though and can be fun for just at home. I feel that the speaker choice is dependant and what the player wants and as we are a half a planet apart and sounds are subjective it may prove difficult. I can say that I like the “traditional” Fender sounds the best, I play bluesy styles mostly, I like a clean tone as well as a little colour, and at times fairly dirty, The 5e3 from what I have seen suits my wants. My twin has enough tone for me, I don’t use any overdrive or distortion pedals (just volume LOL), my only effects are wah and delay. So, can you help me?

Hello and welcome to the forum,

you seem to know what you want and that's the first big step. A kit would be the best choice if you got no experience in building tube amps since they operate under LETHAL VOLTAGES. So take care.
    A 5E3 is a nice amp but wouldn't come close to the Twins sound. The 5E3 is more midrangey and "dirty" when turned up.
    You might have a look at a Blackface Princeton Reverb or a Blackface Deluxe Reverb which come close to the Twins sound but not as loud AND quite dirty when turned up a little more than 4 on the dial.
    I myself would prefer the Princeton. It's got 15 watts and therefore plenty of headroom for the intended use you describe. My 15 watts Princeton clone is loud enough for a club (even with a loud drummer). I'm using the new Jensen ceramic speakers and they sound great.

Just my 2 cents

Matt

Comment

Welcome to the forum. One can get a lot of help and good advice here. I built a Mojo 5E3 kit a while back and I really like it- one of my best sounding amps. I put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in it and I think that speaker sounds terrific.
      Have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys, txstrat, I will look more closely at a princeton, kinda solves the reverb issue, thaks for the advice.

Pete

Comment

You're welcome, Pete.
          If you still want to build a 5E3 and add a reverb to it you could use the attached schematic (provided by our member Tubenit). I could make up a layout plan if you want (if you go for it you just have to give me a little time - or if one of the other forum members have one to provide...).
          The Princeton Reverb would just sound different. Depends on the sound you're looking for.

I've only built every amp from scratch so I don't know how the different woods sound.
          For the cab material I'm usually using 18mm multi layer plywood and it sounds great.
          If you want it to sound more vintage you might use solid pine.
          I think Bruce would be the man to ask here.

Matt
          Attached Files
          Last edited by txstrat; 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txstrat View Post
            You're welcome, Pete.
            If you still want to build a 5E3 and add a reverb to it you could use the attached schematic (provided by our member Tubenit). I could make up a layout plan if you want (if you go for it you just have to give me a little time - or if one of the other forum members have one to provide...).
            The Princeton Reverb would just sound different. Depends on the sound you're looking for.

I've only built every amp from scratch so I don't know how the different woods sound.
            For the cab material I'm usually using 18mm multi layer plywood and it sounds great.
            If you want it to sound more vintage you might use solid pine.
            I think Bruce would be the man to ask here.

Matt
            Thanks Matt, that's awsome, time I have plent of. I was planning to use pine for the cab anyway. I have decided to stick with plan 'a' and add reverb to the 5e3, the other one sounds too "jazzy?" for my taste. I usually go for a raunchier sound than that. Man thanks for your input, very helpful, I think I will not only learn a lot but enjoy my stay here on this forum.

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete, and welcome to the forum.

Ditto on what txstrat said about the princeton - lovely tone - somewhat like a low-powered twin reverb and earlier breakup. You just might find that a PR is a challenging amp for your first build. But if you build a 5E3 first, then you will have two home-brew amps when you go to build your princeton ;-)

(BTW I too am a 49 years young and playin' geetar since I was 13. And my name is Pete. How about that?)
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                Hi Pete, and welcome to the forum.

Ditto on what txstrat said about the princeton - lovely tone - somewhat like a low-powered twin reverb and earlier breakup. You just might find that a PR is a challenging amp for your first build. But if you build a 5E3 first, then you will have two home-brew amps when you go to build your princeton ;-)
                Thats pretty coll mate, we are also from the right end of the world. Have you been affected by the earthquakes too badly? I like the way you think too. Two home made amps...hmmmmm. You cant have too many guitars, or amps as i found out, I tried to stop at 10 guitars but just bought a cheap strat copy to have one in the truck with me when i go away (read...always).

(BTW I too am a 49 years young and playin' geetar since I was 13. And my name is Pete. How about that?)
                Thats cool mate, we are also both from the same end ofthe Earth, the right end. I hope you have not been too badly affected by the earthquakes.

Comment

Pete (vxexec350),
                  Welcolme to the forum. This is good place to "network" and the guys here are very knowledgable. I note you are in Adelaide as I am (Prospect). Feel free to give me a buzz (Local Phone: 82693539) if you require help, an "emergency" part or to borrow some books.
                  Ian's Brag Sheet:
                  I have a home workshop with signal generator, oscilloscope, Avo MKIII tube tester plus spare Tube tester (Taylor) etc. and I'm a Electronic Design Eng. in the day job (Laser Airborne Depth Sounder System). I also have a couple of vintage OZ ETONE guitar speakers sitting on the shelf. Big selection of new and used (tested) tubes including some very nice 6V6G (the old ST "Coke Bottle" shape). Often have spare Output Trannys etc. too. Into both Tube Guitar Amps and Tube HiFi Amps and have a HiFi Amp design (the "Baby Huey") posted over at DIY Audio which has now been built by more than 50 folk around the world. Also have the full set of Kevin O'Connors TUT books (and have built, for a friend, a full Power Scaled "Standard" with Reverb from TUT5). Currently on my 4th Guitar Amp Design and Build and about my 12th HiFi Amp. Also have a few more "High Brow" tube design reference books.
                  Cheers,
                  Ian

Comment

Wow Ian, I am duly impressed, would love to bend your ear one day, as I am keen to learn.
                    Pete

Comment

Working...
                    X