Viruses appears to be back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viruses appears to be back again

I don't know if any of the rest of you have noticed, but the viruses appear to be back here. As soon as I loaded the page today, it started trying to load itself on my computer. I haven't installed Java "THIS" time though so it has nothing to work with. My antivirus found it both times and got rid of it. Seems like it was trying to load from a sportskillers.uni.me site somewhere....I guess that might be a university in whatever country uses .me as their initials? Anyway I wonder if anyone ever heard from Tboy as far as cleaning this crap up? Makes it hard to use the site when all this garbage is trying to destroy or otherwise take over my computer....

Greg

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
    I don't know if any of the rest of you have noticed, but the viruses appear to be back here. As soon as I loaded the page today, it started trying to load itself on my computer. I haven't installed Java "THIS" time though so it has nothing to work with. My antivirus found it both times and got rid of it. Seems like it was trying to load from a sportskillers.uni.me site somewhere....I guess that might be a university in whatever country uses .me as their initials? Anyway I wonder if anyone ever heard from Tboy as far as cleaning this crap up? Makes it hard to use the site when all this garbage is trying to destroy or otherwise take over my computer....

Greg
    So Far So Good Here.
    No Problems so far.
    I never had any Problems before, Just the warnings from the Google site.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Friday 02/03/12 I saw that Microsoft was grabbing at something.
      I did notice that if you Google MEF & click on it, a popup tries to load.
      Something screwy is going on for sure.

Comment

It's in the flash ads. I had an ad blocker, so nothing shows up here.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've had my virus checker give me two warnings the last couple of days also.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

I saw one of those phoney virus scan pop ups. Don't click on that.

Comment

+1 about the virus. I've been forced to format one of my computers recently, and the virus might come from here...

It's extremely annoying: I've lost 1 year of emails and loads of archives (whose backup is corrupted), including all of my recent tech tests around guitar gear...

Comment

My antivirus blocked an attemped trojan attack when I opened the forum earlier today.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  I saw one of those phoney virus scan pop ups. Don't click on that.
                  If you're getting something like that popping up, you may have already become infected. I'd advise to do a free online scan at ENGINE ROOM or F-Secure - Home and see if they are able to find anything.

I had to reformat and reinstall on this machine back in december due to the garbage that was loading from Ampage so I think I will have to get linux installed on another hard drive and boot off of that when I want to see what is going on here....what a pain in the ass. Tboy better get it fixed or lots of people will just go elsewhere if they haven't already...

Greg

Comment

Just tested:
                    1) coming straight into MEF through my bookmarks or responding to a notification: no problem at all, so it seems the problem is not within MEF itself.
                    2) tried (as you suggested) to get in by googling MEF and clicking that link, and got a nonsense page offering a Samsung Galaxy + U$10000 if I did somnething which I didn't even check.
                    Activated Ad Block Plus instead to see the blockable items list, which showed lots of Javascripts and other elements hosted in "ads"something addresses and blocked them off.
                    Then repeated the deal, googling MEF again and clicking the links and got in with no problem at all.
                    I *guess* (not an expert at all) that "something" *within Google* has hijacked the MEF link and forces us through it.
                    Because, I repeat, getting in straight has never shown any problem.
                    Maybe TBoy should complain to google and make them clean *their* act.
                    jm2c
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      I *guess* (not an expert at all) that "something" *within Google* has hijacked the MEF link and forces us through it.
                      The problem is some of the flash based ads have malware in them. When you come in directly you may not be getting those ads. And them some people are. But Google's search engine scans the site on a regular basis, and it ran into those ads, and flagged the site.

Tboy should complain. I also did the last time, but I'm not sure if anyone at Google paid any mind. They need to scan ads that people place and also allow ways for end users to flag those ads. Or maybe they just like the ad money.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

For all of you who use a Microsoft OS (and please, let's not make this into another Apple-MS-Linux flame war) best practice is to not only have a good firewall/anti-virus package in place but to also routinely browse with a user account with limited rights to update your computer's software. Browsing the Web using an account with Admin level rights is asking for trouble.

Comment

routinely browse with a user account with limited rights to update your computer's software. Browsing the Web using an account with Admin level rights is asking for trouble.
                          Nice trick.
                          Will try it.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

If you guys see a pop up:
                            "recommend you scan your system for viruses now"
                            DO NOT click on it. It's a scam to infect your systems.
                            This has been popping up in MEF since yesterday.

Comment

I think I will switch to Kalpersky. I am using panda but I think they are slacking off.

Comment

Working...
                              X