Reverb tank for Ampeg V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb tank for Ampeg V4

I'm thinking of adding a reverb section to an amp i currently by just copying the V4 reverb schematic. I've read that 4FB3D1B is the accutronics replacement for V4s. The D as i understand, is for D = Input Insulated / Output Insulated. Wouldn't it be better to get A, both input and output grounded?

Originally posted by firmdragon View Post
    ... Wouldn't it be better to get A, both input and output grounded?
    In most cases NO. The reason is that using a tank with ground at both the input and output can cause a ground loop that results in hum. That's why they offer the different configurations.

Note that, if needed, it is easy to ground an IN or OUT that is ungrounded by adding a jumper wire from the connector ring to the tank case. It is more difficult to remove a ground that is factory installed because of the way the connector is mounted to the tank case. That gives you some room to experiment.

Comment

If you are buying a new accutroinics tank, they are all made in Korea now, and they all have the in and out insulated.
      You can of course, jump the ground if you want it un-insulated.

Comment

I forgot to point out that the cables connecting the tank will still have the shield grounded. It's just that the one connected to the ungrounded reverb tank connector gets its ground at the amp chassis.

Re: The Korean made Accutronics tanks: The connectors at the tank look different but the in/out connector grounding to the reverb pan chassis is still done per the original specifications.

Comment

If you are using the inexpensive MOD tanks (from CE/tubesandmore) they have little boards in them that configure the ground scheme. So any MOD tank can be easily insulated or grounded at either end by removing or adding a solder bridge on the little boards inside.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

hey thanks for the replies. i just looked around and the MOD tanks seem to have pretty good reviews. i'll probably go that route.

Comment

Working...
            X