Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Gibson P100

Hi All

A friend of mine has a Gibson 1954 Black Beauty reissue with a bridge P100 pickup which he says sounds really wierd. The dc resistance of the top coil is 18k ohms while the bottom coil has 6.2k ohms are these the correct readings for a p100?

Cheers in advance

Andrew

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
    A friend of mine has a Gibson 1954 Black Beauty reissue with a bridge P100 pickup which he says sounds really wierd
    I welcome you get acquainted with the most probably WORST SOUNDING P'UP EVER by Gibson.

I actually feel sorry for you.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Hi Pepe

DoŽnt worry, the pickups not mine and my friend called me today and said heŽd broken one of the coils, so it looks iŽll be making him a p90. By the way before he broke it he checked the dc resistance again and it was 15 k ohms for each coil. I hope the weathers better in Milan than it is here in Vienna.

Cheers

Andrew
      Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
      I welcome you get acquainted with the most probably WORST SOUNDING P'UP EVER by Gibson.

I actually feel sorry for you.

Comment

I too have a P100 and am wondering what to do with it. It has clear bobbins and appears to be the neck version P100R. Other places on the net have suggested the only way to salvage one of these is to disconnect the bottom coil and use the top only (in this case probably about 12k by itself). I was curious to know if anyone has tried to take one apart. The bobbins appear to be identical and both glued to the magnets. If it was some sort of super glue then acetone is recommended to break the joint but may turn the bobbin into goop at the same time.

Just curious;
        Ianj

Comment

Working...
        X