P/U Rewinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/U Rewinding

Practically all Pickup winders will be asked if they can rewind my broke Pickup for my favorite Old Guitar that My GrandPa gave me! lol
    It is important to record as much info as possible about the Pickup before you tear it a part.
    Take Pictures of as much before and during and after the rewind process.
    Record as much data about the pickup as you take it apart.
    You will asking yourself, How was that put together? WTF?
    I made a WorkSheet that I fill out during the process.
    I am posting it here.
    Hopefully Others can use it.
    Got any other Ideas pertaining to record Keeping on Rewinds post it here.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Also, take photos!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Also, take photos!
      I thought I said that already?
      Slow down, You read to fast!
      I said take Pictures, Instead of Photos.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Oh yeah you did. I was skimming. I didn't read the whole post!
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Big Teee, Nice chart. I've been doing rewinds since 1998 and learned a great deal from every pickup that I have rewound. I would like to add, in addition to Big Teee's chart I take gauss readings, mic the bobbin dimensions, mic magnet dimensions, and more recently video taping the unwind. I unwind pickups that I am Not familiar with and any old Fender pickup. I find that reviewing the video to count tpl and wind pattern is much easier than trying to do this while your doing the unwind.
          Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            Big Teee, Nice chart. I've been doing rewinds since 1998 and learned a great deal from every pickup that I have rewound. I would like to add, in addition to Big Teee's chart I take gauss readings, mic the bobbin dimensions, mic magnet dimensions, and more recently video taping the unwind. I unwind pickups that I am Not familiar with and any old Fender pickup. I find that reviewing the video to count tpl and wind pattern is much easier than trying to do this while your doing the unwind.
            Glad you like the chart.
            Not enough money here to spend that much time or trouble.
            I count a row or two of tpl.
            I ask the customer, If they are really going to play them, and they agree, I recharge the magnets.
            Granted I don't do PAFs or High dollar stuff like that.
            I would probably refer them to Grundy, or someone else.
            Lately been more Odd ball DeArmond and stuff like that.
            So I usually take the exacto knife to them as soon as I think I know what I am doing.
            I already see some changes coming to the Chart. That was a first V1.0 Issue.
            I do have a question for an experienced Rewinder?
            How do you protect the sticker or date code on the back of the Pickup?
            That is a biggy with my local Vintage Shop Owner.
            Some times I handle them so much I end up rubbing or knocking it off.
            B_T
            Terry

Comment

Here's an amended chart.
              I simplified a few things.
              Still don't have room for everything, but beats nuthin!
              B_T
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X