Peavey Classic 50 HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 50 HELP!

I read and performed 2 blue guitar mods upon testing the second one which was replacing c18 with a 820pf silver mica cap, something must have touched the main board because the main fuse burned. I replaced the fuse and now I have no clean channel and the lead channel is very fuzz box sounding. Also the volume pot shafts are sensitive to the touch. I tried changing out the fist two 12ax7's and checked the boards for any obvious signs of burns or loose connections. I have some experience with amp building and such but I don't know where to start. I feel naked without my amp! HELP Please!

There are so many classic 50 models that you should contact peavey, 601 483 5365 and try to get the exact schematic, using the serial number, and post it here.
    I am making an educated guess that the low voltage plus minus supplies may be damaged. BUT that is just hot air until you get your schematic and take some readings.
    Circuit tracks may be broken or damaged, or there might be a bridged solder connection, (???)

Comment

Any links to the mods you did in the meantime? Did you reconnect all connectors back in the right place?

Comment

There are only two versions of the Classic 50. The original which had no effects loop, and the version a year later where they added an FX loop. That same Classic 50 has been made ever since, 20 years now. Other than that loop, they are the same.

There are other versions of the Classic, and they may even be 50 watt amps, but they are NOT Classic 50 amps.

I am with AMU here, look closely at the ribbon connectors. ANy chance one of them is off one pin?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't believe you.
          I think there are way more than 2 versions.

Comment

Back up the statement.
            Schematics of 'all' of them.
            A phone call to Peavey.
            Something.

Comment

There are only two versions and they are very easy to tell apart. You either have a 6L6 amp or an EL-84 amp. The mods are Steve Aholas on the Blue Guitar page. I would undue the mod and see if you can get it back to original then start over.
              KB

Comment

Here is the schematic.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  There are only two versions of the Classic 50. The original which had no effects loop, and the version a year later where they added an FX loop. That same Classic 50 has been made ever since, 20 years now. Other than that loop, they are the same.

There are other versions of the Classic, and they may even be 50 watt amps, but they are NOT Classic 50 amps.

I am with AMU here, look closely at the ribbon connectors. ANy chance one of them is off one pin?
                  I did'nt remove any ribbon connectors untill after the problem then while in the (dead) clean channel I wiggle them and did not get a rise.

Comment

I did'nt remove any ribbon connectors untill after the problem then while in the (dead) clean channel I wiggle them and did not get a rise.

Comment

I don't believe you.
                      I think there are way more than 2 versions.

Fine. Post them. I am willing to be educated.

If they don't say "Classic 50" on them, though, they are not "Classic 50" amps. So if you are thinking about the old Classic from the late 1970s or the later Classic VT and the Classic VTX, stop, they are not Classic 50 amps, they are 50 watt hybrids. There is also the Classic 50/50. it is not a Classic 50, despite the similarity in names. It is a dual power amp, no preamp.

The Classic 50 came in 2x12 and 4x10 versions, but the amp was the same, the schematic the same, in fact the schematic shows both on the legend. The amp chassis in the head version is also the same. If you want to call that three models, go ahead, but since when you brought up your thought that there were many versions, you were concerned with finding the schematic to match, and in that case, there is just the one. With or without the FX loop added.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok, this is interesting but if I plug into the effect return, I get a steady clean tone. Also when I'm plugged into the input, lead channel, you cannot completely silence the volume with the master control. It kind of fades out at about 8:00 then louder again. Could it be a pot?

Comment

Originally posted by audiosalvage View Post
                          Ok, this is interesting but if I plug into the effect return, I get a steady clean tone. Also when I'm plugged into the input, lead channel, you cannot completely silence the volume with the master control. It kind of fades out at about 8:00 then louder again. Could it be a pot?
                          I doubt it but it's possible if you damaged it during putting it back in the channel. Think about it though. Everything was ok before the mod right so what ever happened was done during or after the mod. That's why I said to go back and bring it back to factory and see if it's the mod or another problem that generated after the mod.
                          KB

Comment

OK, I will get 470pf cap ( the old one was destroyed upon removal ) and try it again. I also found a bad 1amp fuse on the board that I replaced with no avail. I'll be back.

Comment

When I fire this thing up again, what voltages should be found and where? I need to know how to pin point the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X