Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average Resistance per Turn (42AWG P90)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Resistance per Turn (42AWG P90)?

This is kind of a dumb question, but I haven't wound a P90 for a while and can't find my notes. I want to get about 8.4k on a mojo P90 bobbin.

Can anyone tell mne about how many turns I need to achieve this? Or (even better) give me an average resistance per turn?

Thanks!

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
    This is kind of a dumb question, but I haven't wound a P90 for a while and can't find my notes. I want to get about 8.4k on a mojo P90 bobbin.

Can anyone tell mne about how many turns I need to achieve this? Or (even better) give me an average resistance per turn?

Thanks!
    10,000 should get you to 8k.
    Here is Salvasan's Coil estimator.
    Coil Estimator
    Good Luck,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

10000 TURNS will get you a little less than 8k 7.8 to 7.9k
      remember those last few 100 turns increase the dcr very fast (it takes a wrap of wire quite a bit longer than you started with)
      try 10400 naa
      i don't have my notes with me
      id say 10350
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thanks!
        Depends on how you lay the wire down. If you take the average Gibson infamous 65 TPL, depending on the insulation thickness, 10,000 turns of single-coated AWG #42 PE wire will get you from 7.5 to 7.8K, and that depending on the temperature being a dead 20°C/68°F. The variation in readings due to temperature is about 1% for 4°C.

An excellent P-90 set is 5-7% underwound in the neck and 8-12% overwound in the bridge, using the infamous 10,00 turns of #42 PE wire.

WHY do you wanna get some DCR values? It makes no sense to me.
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          Depends on how you lay the wire down. If you take the average Gibson infamous 65 TPL, depending on the insulation thickness, 10,000 turns of single-coated AWG #42 PE wire will get you from 7.5 to 7.8K, and that depending on the temperature being a dead 20°C/68°F. The variation in readings due to temperature is about 1% for 4°C.

An excellent P-90 set is 5-7% underwound in the neck and 8-12% overwound in the bridge, using the infamous 10,00 turns of #42 PE wire.

WHY do you wanna get some DCR values? It makes no sense to me.
          *sigh*

I almost didn't post because I knew someone would bust my balls, try to school me, etc.

Last night I had a rare opportunity too sit down at the winder. I wanted to bang out a P-90 real quick but couldn't find my notes. That resistance yielded my personal fav P-90...unfortunately that's the only detail I could recall off the top of my head. Hope that makes sense to you?

Yes, I know about TPLs, tempature, blah, blah, blah. I was just trying to squeeze out a P-90 quick and dirty and didn't have anything else at my disposal to go by.

Comment

*sigh*

I almost didn't post because I knew someone would bust my balls, try to school me, etc.

Yes, I know about TPLs, tempature, blah, blah, blah. I was just trying to squeeze out a P-90 quick and dirty and didn't have anything else at my disposal to go by.
            & That's while i kept my answer simple
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yes, I know about TPLs, tempature, blah, blah, blah. .
              Yet you chose to ask "how many turns for 8.4K".

If you wanna get the right answer, you need to ask the right question.

Sorry for "busting your balls" and "school you".

You can be certain that it won't happen again.
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

10000 turns of awg 42 ?

I just made a pair of humbucker sized p90, i put 10000 turns in one, but with awg44 ! I put 12000 turns of awg44 in the second one, and it was pretty fatty, could almost not fit into the cover!!!
                Maybe the bobbins are smaller...

Comment

Working...
                X