1950s fender delux amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950s fender delux amplifier

i am restoring an old fender delux and i am trying to keep as much original as i can the potentiometers are stuck and wont turn does anyone know if there is away to free these up so i could use the original ones the number on the pots are 304738. also this amp seems to be a 5E3 but the tag on the inside says it is a model 5F6 serial number is d04550 it comes out i think to be a 1957 if it is a 5E3. any help would be awesome thanks mark

Get the schematic of your amp and get the same value pot and replace it. There is nothing sacred about the pot.

Comment

I'd agree.

However, the lubrication in your pots has probably hardened. SOmetimes a dribble of WD40 will dissolve the old lube and free it up. Then you can re-lube with real oil once it is free.

ANother thing that might work is to pull the pot, and apply some heat to the bushing. That might soften the old lube enough to get moving.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Remove pot. Put some liquid wrench on the shaft and let it sit a day or so. If it frees up then flush the pot with Caig Dioxit while twisting it. Soak up any excess with a towel. Last take a tooth pick and put a drop of light oil on the shaft and twist it so the oil gets distributed on the shaft. Re-install. If it is really stubborn you may have to disassemble the pot to retention the wiper. I have a bucketvof old pots that I use to rebuild old pots. Usually you want to keep the date coded case if it is a true restoration.

Comment

Hi 4423mark, I have a Deluxe like yours. The tube chart says 5F6. Here's a link to a thread where I posted a picture of the tube chart: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5433/ There is a two letter code on the tube chart that will tell you the year and month of manufacture.

I would like to know if your amp has a 4.7K or 470 ohm screen dropping resistor. This will be the resistor between the plus terminals of the two 16uF caps closest to the power transformer. A real 5E3 uses 4.7K but there are some other Fender tweed push pull 6V6 amps that use 470 ohm.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
            Hi 4423mark, I have a Deluxe like yours. The tube chart says 5F6. Here's a link to a thread where I posted a picture of the tube chart: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5433/ There is a two letter code on the tube chart that will tell you the year and month of manufacture.

I would like to know if your amp has a 4.7K or 470 ohm screen dropping resistor. This will be the resistor between the plus terminals of the two 16uF caps closest to the power transformer. A real 5E3 uses 4.7K but there are some other Fender tweed push pull 6V6 amps that use 470 ohm.
            i will look as soon as i get it unmasked i have it all masked up to keep any over spray out right know but as soon as i get it opened back up i will check for you mine also has the paper tag with 5f6 onit for smoe reason thanks for getting in touch will talk soon mark

Comment

Working...
            X