Amp with stereo tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp with stereo tremolo

OK here is my set up and my question. My current amp is a Peavey Valveking 112, I upgraded the reverb tank to and older Accutronix. I run a line out to my EH pulsar pedal, main back to the VK, the stereo out of the Pulsar to a Epiphone Valve Special. I have a old Peavey Encoure 65 that has had some preamp issues. I was wanting to take the power amp section, power supply tubs ect. out of the encore to power a 112 cab for the stereo loop and get rid of the EPI amp. Is this possible or not???

Essentially I want a amp that will run the tremolo in stereo to two cabinets. I wish that it was all in one amp with a stereo and main speaker jack. Am I crazy or do I have a great idea????
    Thanks
    Jon

Using the Encore instead of the Epi is the same thing your doing now. The encore cannot easily be made into a stereo amp. So either the Epi or the Peavey is still just a sattelite amp.

I've had guys ask me to build them a stereo amp before. Though I never have because once the customer hears the price they run screaming like a little girl. But it's not a new idea. There are a couple of stereo amps that have been popular.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Soo I can scream extremely loud and have my wife upset for days what are we looking at for a price??? I see you are here in the NW, I'm West of Portland.

Comment

The Gibson Goldtone GA30RVS is a stereo amp. Darn good one too and not wildly expensive.
        ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Stereo trem makes me shudder.

As much as I love the Jeff Back albums "Blow By BLow" and "Wired", the piano is recorded with a stereo trem hard panned left and right. The ENTIRE time the thing is playing, the sound ping pongs between the left and right speakers. It just makes me sea sick. VERY annoying.

Be careful what you wish for.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Stereo trem makes me shudder.

As much as I love the Jeff Back albums "Blow By BLow" and "Wired", the piano is recorded with a stereo trem hard panned left and right. The ENTIRE time the thing is playing, the sound ping pongs between the left and right speakers. It just makes me sea sick. VERY annoying.

Be careful what you wish for.
            My two amps sit only about 4' apart from each other so the stereo effect is not as dramatic as Jeff Beck has. I'm sure if they were on other sides of the room it would be different. Thanks for the concern.

Comment

Before you get a bid on a true stereo amp...

The old school way of doing stereo effects is really easy. You need two amps with effects loops. The really cool thing about doing it this way is that you double your preamp options as well.

Get another Valveking (for a butt load less than a custom stereo amp). Set up the preamps on both your Valvekings so that you have what amounts to three different tones on each. Now run from the effects send of each amp to an A/B box. Run the A/B box output to any effects you want to run in stereo. Then run the effects stereo outputs to either Valvekings effects returns. Ta da. Now, with the A/B box and the Peavey foot switches you have six different tones to choose from, twice the power and full stereo effects.

I used to do it with a pair of Mesa Subway amps and a Quadreverb. It was fun but I've always been more of a plug and play guy. But if your into stereo, two identical amps with effects loops OR a good preamp and a stereo power amp are the best way I know of to do it. Another big advantage to two identical amps is that for small gigs, when you don't want to lug all your gear, you can skip the stereo effects and just bring one amp. Same basic tone, half the luggage.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Before you get a bid on a true stereo amp...

The old school way of doing stereo effects is really easy. You need two amps with effects loops. The really cool thing about doing it this way is that you double your preamp options as well.

Get another Valveking (for a butt load less than a custom stereo amp). Set up the preamps on both your Valvekings so that you have what amounts to three different tones on each. Now run from the effects send of each amp to an A/B box. Run the A/B box output to any effects you want to run in stereo. Then run the effects stereo outputs to either Valvekings effects returns. Ta da. Now, with the A/B box and the Peavey foot switches you have six different tones to choose from, twice the power and full stereo effects.

I used to do it with a pair of Mesa Subway amps and a Quadreverb. It was fun but I've always been more of a plug and play guy. But if your into stereo, two identical amps with effects loops OR a good preamp and a stereo power amp are the best way I know of to do it. Another big advantage to two identical amps is that for small gigs, when you don't want to lug all your gear, you can skip the stereo effects and just bring one amp. Same basic tone, half the luggage.
                Thanks a ton!! I do not gig, I just play at home. I wanted another Valveking, they make a great amp for all my P-90 equipped guitars!

Comment

I've made quite a few Stereo Tremolo (really Stereo Panning) amps for Rhodes Players.
                  And yes, the sound is weird.
                  Specially since they had separate cabinets, and could be placed a few yards apart.
                  Oh well, Customers are the Boss.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X