Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guys show me some photos of your amp builds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonamojo View Post
    cabinet has a celestion blue MIE of course. Tweed deluxe circuit with switchable filtering and tube/ss switch runs mullard XF4's
    As an ex-cabinet/furniture maker... I love these ones.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Comment

Cheap build I did with a thrift store find. Wall adapter for 12V supply, 120V isolation transformer with a 240V input run backwards for the HV supply, 70V line transformer for the OT. Used the wood trim from the front of the radio and put it along the side to look like a TV. Dyed place mat for a grill (a buck at the One Dollar Store), 8" PA speaker just fits inside, went closed back in order to retain some bass but found the speaker would have had enough with open back.

Not sure why I can not link a picture, here are the links.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...3schematic.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...letopfront.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...bletopBack.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...Backinside.jpg

Comment

You need to place Image "tags" around the links...

Comment

oooppps on my previous post
            Last edited by jonamojo; 04-06-2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

18 watt SE / 36 watt P/P Jazz Combo Amp

18 watt SE / 36 watt P/P Jazz Combo Amp

Click image for larger version

Name:	Combo_Front.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	824696Click image for larger version

Name:	Combo_Rear.JPG
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	824697Click image for larger version

Name:	Combo_Top.JPG
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	824698

Top panel switches from left to right :

Preamp gain : {1st stage} +6 dB / +20 dB
              Lead Channel : Electronic Volume control / Treble / Bass
              Rhythm Channel : Electronic Volume control / Treble / Bass

Preamp Mode lamps
              Lead Channel / IPA Push/pull / Rhythm Channel
              * both channel lamps illuminate in Preamp Mixed Mode.
              * IPA Push/Pull mode illuminates in Push/Pull mode.

Preamp Mode : Switched / Mixed mode
              IPA Mode : Push/Pull / Single Ended {lamp illuminates in P/P mode}
              PA Mode : Operate / Stand-by

Modes of operation :

Mode 1 :
              Preamp Channel #1 in switched mode.
              IPA SE mode driving power tube A in class A for 9 watts.

Mode 2 :
              Preamp Channel #2 in switched mode.
              IPA SE mode driving power tube B in class A for 9 watts.

Mode 3 :
              Preamp Channels #1 and #2 in mixed mode.
              IPA SE mode driving power tubes A and B in class A for 18 watts.

Mode 4 :
              Preamp Channel #1 in switched mode.
              IPA P/P mode driving power tubes A and B in class A/B for 36 watts.

Mode 5 :
              Preamp Channel #2 in switched mode.
              IPA P/P mode driving power tubes A and B in Class A/B for 36 watts.

Mode 6 :
              Preamp Channels #1 and #2 in Mixed mode.
              IPA P/P mode driving power tubes A and B in Class A/B for 36 watts.

Power tubes are fan cooled ; with the cooling fan mounted inside the chassis.
              Channel switching via foot switch {when in Preamp switched mode}
              Split rail +300 / +600 volt HV supply
              Split rail +6.3 / +12.6 volt LV suppy
              Last edited by mooreamps; 04-06-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

My most recent ~40W cobbled together surfin' monstrosity with switchable parallel/single V1 stage, old flame reverb, LTP inverter, fixed bias 6L6s, bias-vary trem. (Okay - maybe its ~30W :-), who cares?)

Name:	6799791098_bf6dbd8a6e_z.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	824749Click image for larger version

Name:	6945898239_b3b5f060b6_z.jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	824750Click image for larger version

Name:	6945898075_80c965d483_z.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	824751Click image for larger version

Name:	6799790826_7e5c1134ec_z.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	824752
                Last edited by tubeswell; 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM.
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Here is a London Power Standard (from TUT5) I built for a friend.
                  Kept the Amp looking basic with a Hammond Chassis and Cover, spiffed it up with snake skin tolex for the box. That is "yours truely" giving it production acceptance test with his Guild.
                  The "bling" shot (ist on left) is with the amp and his Black Falcon.
                  I have a dozen or more photos of the actual build in progress. Yell if you would like them posted.
                  Cheers,
                  Ian
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gingertube; 04-23-2012, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Nice amp and guitar, not too many Artist Awards around.
                    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                    - Yogi Berra

Comment

I made this as a way of keeping stuff out of the landfill. It was a blown space heater. Used a 12ax7, 6x4 and 6bq5A. No speaker.
                      http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SpHtrAmp.mp4
                      Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Here's my gigging rig... a pure 100 watt solid state wonderment, I hand make all Parsons equipment.

Name:	parsons_stack.jpg
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	824915Click image for larger version

Name:	parsons_3.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	824916Click image for larger version

Name:	parsons_2.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	824917Click image for larger version

Name:	parsons_1.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	824914
                        Last edited by Sowhat; 05-04-2012, 04:22 AM. Reason: change layout
                        ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Comment

Wow. Don't see many boutique solid-state amps. Can you tell us anything about the circuit?
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Is "Mudsharkable" "SoWhat"??

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                            Wow. Don't see many boutique solid-state amps. Can you tell us anything about the circuit?
                            Found this googling "Parsons" +"Guitar amplifier" and the circuit info here http://sound.westhost.com/project27.htm
                            Last edited by guitician; 05-04-2012, 05:10 PM.
                            Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                              It's based on the ESE P27 by Rod Elliott in Australia. I had been using an ancient Brute 70 with a quad MOSFET preamp I designed to mimmic a 12AX7 tube preamp when one day it blew up due to old cracked wiring! I put that one in the spare parts bin and decided to build myself a newer design with parts you could actually get now-a-days. I spoke with Rod about the old Brute 70 and he convinced me that he has a better design and after looking at his P27 I agreed. Basically it's Rod's design with a few modifications. The 4 output transistors are MJ14003/4's each mounted to a nice hefty wakefield 421 heatsink. The internal shielding is massive and single point because cross oscillation was a potential problem in his design. The preamp went from discrete mosfets to a 2 stage opa2134 op amp design which may be reverted back to the older mosfet design because the preamp is a bit too clean for guitar although workable. The power supply has been modified to incorporate about an amp of 9-12VDC for external effects and to power the internal wireless receiver, a Nady DKW1.

This new design screams, and runs cool as a cucumber unlike the old brute 70 with dueling 2N3055's which would fry eggs and the bacon to boot. The interesting thing about it was as I showed it around, while a few guitar players showed some interest in it, bass players were the real interested parties. For bass, it reminds me of a Sunn 2000s or even an SVT although the SVT is about 3 times the wattage. Before I knew it I had 5 orders for them, all bass players. Guitar players have ordered some of the speaker cabinets, especially my isocab design but they still prefer their Marshall, Laney, Orange and Hiwatt heads... I think it's the tube myth that keeps them from switching. I have been solid state since the late 60's and never looked back. The ruggedness and reliability just can't be beat. I wish I could upload a sound clip of this amp but the forum don't seem to have that capability. You would never think it was a solid state amp, as I said it screams. Here's a link to it's build photo gallery...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1062635...KL-v_uCxtCIMg#

Comment

Originally posted by guitician View Post
                                Found this googling "Parsons" +"Guitar amplifier" and the circuit info here 100W Guitar Amplifier (Mk II)
                                Yeah, that's me! I forgot all about this video but that's it. I'm mudshakable there because sowhat was already taken. Now you guys can see the video, listen to a little ZZTop and see the photo build gallery on this thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X