wiring up a humbucker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring up a humbucker.

Is there a noticeable difference in wiring a humbucker coil with the start(inside) of each coil soldered together instead of how Dimarzio/duncan use the finish (outside)?

It shouldn't make any difference, whether you feed the start or finish.
    Some winders, don't put the start wire through the bobbin hole at the bottom.
    Instead they connect the leads to the start and finish on top after they are finished.
    I find it easier to put the start wire through the bobbin.
    Whatever works best for you.
    Like was mentioned in another post.
    It is less confusing to wind both bobbins the same direction, and tie either both starts, or both finish wires together.
    Good luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Ok thanks! thats what I have been doing.

Comment

Lumps on the bobbin

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        It shouldn't make any difference, whether you feed the start or finish.
        Some winders, don't put the start wire through the bobbin hole at the bottom.
        Instead they connect the leads to the start and finish on top after they are finished.
        I find it easier to put the start wire through the bobbin.
        Whatever works best for you.
        Like was mentioned in another post.
        It is less confusing to wind both bobbins the same direction, and tie either both starts, or both finish wires together.
        Good luck,
        Terry
        So when you put the start wire through the bobbin, How do you avoid the lump on the edge of the bobbin when you finished winding?

I ask this because I've only wound a couple of pickups and I'm so nervous about braking the start wire that I super glue the start wire into the bobbin.
        I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by walcen View Post
          So when you put the start wire through the bobbin, How do you avoid the lump on the edge of the bobbin when you finished winding?
          I ask this because I've only wound a couple of pickups and I'm so nervous about braking the start wire that I super glue the start wire into the bobbin.
          Hi Stranger!
          That is the age old problem, the lump from the start wire.
          I've tried everything.
          If you use a small start wire, the lump on the side is not bad.
          Good Luck,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

My start wire is taped to the face plate of my winder i do the same as Duncan pickups are wound ,solder the start & finish lead wires on after
            I hate that wire through little hole thing
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
              My start wire is taped to the face plate of my winder i do the same as Duncan pickups are wound ,solder the start & finish lead wires on after
              I hate that wire through little hole thing
              I've tried it your way, and I always end up with a mess.
              I do a variation of the hole, I like one wire on the bottom, and the other on top!
              Whatever you get used to, and like the best.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Where are you getting your bobbins from? Mine don't have any holes.

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
                  Where are you getting your bobbins from? Mine don't have any holes.
                  You can drill your own hole.
                  I saw a small notch with a Mini thin saw blade instead of the hole.
                  If you use butyrate bobbins, they have the hole on the end.
                  Like discussed, whatever you like and get used to.
                  Good Luck,
                  Terry
                  Terry

Comment

Ok so I've had a little play with the bobbins and noticed that there is a good wall thickness between the edge of the bobbin and the pole piece hole, so I put the bobbin in a drill press vice and drilled a little slot in it next to the start wire hole. now I can solder the start wire on and glue it into the slot. problem solved. It'd be nice if the bobbins were made with the slot already in them.

Thanks for the discussion guys.

Kindest regards

Walt
                    I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                    X