Soldering PCB - JCA50H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering PCB - JCA50H

Hi - I've got a Jet City 50H that I'm planning to modify. The PCB appears to have plated-through holes that the components are mounted to, based on the solder around the leads that's visible while the board is mounted in the chassis. My question is, can I desolder / resolder from that side of the board, so that I don't have to remove the board and do so from the bottom?

Thanks!

I do this to double-sided PCBs all the time! You can heat up component legs to melt the solder, and yank them out from above with pliers.

It's probably frowned upon. If the component leg is bent over under the board (and they often are to keep them in place between assembly and soldering) then it could possibly take a lot of force to pull it through, damaging the plated through hole. I do it anyway.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

It does damage the holes, the best thing is to cut the lead first, heat the connection and push the lead out, then wick out the hole.
      I don't know why everybody bends the leads over, but that's why you must take the board out to avoid damage.

Comment

As a general rule (not only here), pamper the board, be real soft and lighthanded with it.
        You can buy all (or most) parts at some supplier,except that particular PCB.
        For me, the PCB "is" the amplifier, all parts mounted on it are accessories, if you know what I mean.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

you can clean the flux and crud off the board with Q tips and denatured alcohol
          clean it before you solder the new parts in...

Comment

I was just browsing for relevant posts for my project and I happened to stumble upon yours. Thanks for the useful information!
            [URL="http://www.7pcb.ca"]turnkey pcb assembly[/URL]

Comment

Plated through holes are a major pain in the thereabout.
              It takes way more effort to clean the holes out, and maybe if you do not have a soldering station, or a solder vacuum, you might get somebody who does.
              It's really easy to damage the board, and you wanna be extra careful and take your time.

Denatured alcohol will remove the flux, you can use a toothbrush to gently scrub the crud off.
              Make sure it's perfectly clean before installing the new parts.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                Plated through holes are a major pain in the thereabout.
                It takes way more effort to clean the holes out, and maybe if you do not have a smt soldering station, or a solder vacuum, you might get somebody who does.
                It's really easy to damage the board, and you wanna be extra careful and take your time.

Denatured alcohol will remove the flux, you can use a toothbrush to gently scrub the crud off.
                Make sure it's perfectly clean before installing the new parts.

thanks for your input. it's appreciated.

dave
                [URL="http://www.7pcb.ca"]turnkey pcb assembly[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by pcbman View Post
                  thanks for your input. it's appreciated.

dave
                  Whoops, I left that part out, you have to take the board out-yes.
                  Try this:
                  Weller WD1 | Solder/Desolder/Hot Air/Solder Pot/Power Units

So, it's really important to have a good soldering station. If you are using a regular "soldering pen" without control,
                  then you will have an extra difficult time.

Comment

Working...
                  X