Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecaster anti-microphonic tips...

Hey guys-

I've been scratching my head about a telecaster that belongs to a friend of mine. I recently made a set of pickups for it, and have been scratching my head about the microphonics. Everything is in place as far as the construction of the pickups (non-threaded forbon, wax-potted with the baseplate and pickup cover, etc), but I still hear fairly loud noise when I change the position of the pickup selector. I read a couple of tips on a site called 300 guitars and wanted to run it by you guys. The two tips that are relevant to me are, to affix the baseplate to the bottom of the bridge pickup with silicone sealer, and then the one that I was most concerned about was to use rubber cement to help seal the bridge assembly to the body. The only problem is that I'm a little concerned about what the rubber cement will do to the tele body. Anywho, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

John

Here's the link to what I read: http://www.300guitars.com/articles/e...ur-telecaster/

Sticking the bridge plate to the body with rubber cement sounds kind of yucky. Does this guitar have a steel bridge plate? See if a magnet will stick to it.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Sounds worse than yucky to me. I do not see what the little bit of material that does not squeeze out would do anyway.

Originally posted by John Carlsen View Post
      Hey guys-

I've been scratching my head about a telecaster that belongs to a friend of mine. I recently made a set of pickups for it, and have been scratching my head about the microphonics. Everything is in place as far as the construction of the pickups (non-threaded forbon, wax-potted with the baseplate and pickup cover, etc), but I still hear fairly loud noise when I change the position of the pickup selector. I read a couple of tips on a site called 300 guitars and wanted to run it by you guys. The two tips that are relevant to me are, to affix the baseplate to the bottom of the bridge pickup with silicone sealer, and then the one that I was most concerned about was to use rubber cement to help seal the bridge assembly to the body. The only problem is that I'm a little concerned about what the rubber cement will do to the tele body. Anywho, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

John

Here's the link to what I read: Telecaster Bridge Pickup Feedback Reduction Tips - Billy Penn's 300Guitars.com : Billy Penn's 300Guitars.com

Comment

Like jrfrond said in the other thread, I think the main problem is that the bridge plate is steel, so the pickup picks up any vibrations in it.

That might well be part of the Tele sound. I wouldn't worry about trying to "fix" it unless the customer brings it back and complains.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I've had some issues like this in the past.
          It has always been a base plate, or cover potting issue, for me.
          You can usually find it with the tapping test.
          select the pickup with the switch, then tap on the pickup selected.
          If it is dull sounding it is fine.
          If it has that hot alive sound that is the one causing the problem.
          Not sure if he is using springs, or rubber tubing.
          I like rubber tubing with Single coils, much quieter.
          Good Luck,
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

If the pickups are ok, I would look at the switch. Is it hitting the plate when you move the switch to the 1 or 3 position? If the switch is hitting metal to metal you will hear it no matter what.
            Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Magnut View Post
              If the pickups are ok, I would look at the switch. Is it hitting the plate when you move the switch to the 1 or 3 position? If the switch is hitting metal to metal you will hear it no matter what.
              I'm pretty sure the switch isn't the issue as it was not a problem with the previous pickups. I'll try to reseal the baseplate to the bridge pickup with some silicone sealer and see if that helps with the issue. So, is that a definite no on the rubber cement under the baseplate? I knew it sounded a little scary, but I'm always open, and there was some sort of adhesive underneath the bridge plate when I took it off.... thanks guys, you're the best!

Comment

Originally posted by John Carlsen View Post
                non-threaded forbon...
                Why? How is the pickup keeping a solid connection to the baseplate? If it can vibrate on what ever rubber sealer you are using, it's going to be microphonic.

Most of the guitars I have with non microphonic pickups still make noises if you tap on them.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Why? How is the pickup keeping a solid connection to the baseplate? If it can vibrate on what ever rubber sealer you are using, it's going to be microphonic.

Most of the guitars I have with non microphonic pickups still make noises if you tap on them.
                  So, are you saying that I should thread the forbon as well as the baseplate? Because that goes against everything else I've read. I'm not just talking about noise when I tap on them. I'm talking about a LOUD sound when I switch positions or tap on the pickup. I know the difference. There is a sound when I tap on my humbuckers (even with covers) and strat pickups, but no like this. I thought the purpose of the sealer was to permanently stick the baseplate to the pickup and make sure that it didn't vibrate against it. I know how to build the pickups and make them sound good, my questions were specifically in regards to using this silicone sealer for the baseplate and the rubber cement thing underneath the bridge on a tele. I know quite a bit about guitars and such as most everyone else here does as well, this was just a gap in my knowledge that I hadn't heard before so I wanted to get some advice.

Comment

If it is the bridge pickup assembly that's the problem then the baseplate should be held on by the magnets only with nowt inbetween so try potting it with the baseplate attached. Silicone not a good idea as some silicones eat solder. Drip some wax under the bridge before screwing it down and that rubber cement that keeps cropping up in certain pickups isn't. It's a well known fabric adhesive.

Comment

One thing to check is the pickup base to body rout clearance. I've repaired many because of one or two places touching the base metal/forbon.

Comment

Dont forget to put a strip of tape between the pole pieces and the baseplate.

Comment

Working...
                        X