12at7 cascade preamp on a 5E3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12at7 cascade preamp on a 5E3?

I am working up to building a 5E3, but want to do something a little different. I'd like to add a more versitile tone stack, and use a 12at7 in place of the 12ay7, plus add another gain stage from an at7.

Right now, all I have for this build are the tubes, a 300v/100ma tranny being built...and a few other spare parts.

Looking for a tone stack to control lows/mids/treble...maybe a q/frequency control to adust the mid/treble crossover point.

Any advice would be appreciated, or better yet a schematic I can modify from.

Tube layout would be 12at7,12at7, 12ax7, 2x 6v6, 5v4g recto.

You can put a 12AT7 in a stock 5E3...I don't understand how a 12AT7 in itself will make the amp more versatile?

So lets recap, you want 2x preamp tubes, a PI and a cathode biased output stage...why not mate a 5F6A front end to the 5E3 power amp?

300-0-300VAC would probably take a 5AR4 quite happily too.

Comment

That is a great suggesstion!

I can just use the whole bassman front end and add an extra gain stage on each channel, using 2-at7's vs 1-12a7y.

I'm a 6V6 fan...especially push-pull. I would have never thought to use anything from the bassman....never even played through one in 30 years of playing.

Comment

Working...
      X