5e3 layout question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 layout question

I am building a 5e3 amp from the triode electronics layout http://site.triodestore.com/5E3Delux...-18021120V.pdf
    This is a noobe question I am sure, but if there are no leads coming to pin 3(see footnote) there is no power to anode(plate)
    Am I just looking at this wrong. Thanks in advance, kinda stumped on the project at this point.

You are looking at it wrong. The rectifier tube has pin 3 un-used, that's correct.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am more concerned about the 6v6's, if you remove the brown and blue wires from the layout( there are no blue and brown wires on transformer) then there is nothing going to pin 's 3 of the 6v6.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure that you are ready to build a tube amp.
        Whether the wires are brown, blue, green, yellow, or purple, etc... they are still connected to pin 3.
        LOOK at the spec sheet of your transformer.
        OR call the person who provided the kit. FIND OUT what color the primary wires are. FIND OUT what color the primary center tap is.
        The wires are connected or the amp does not work. Your choice.
        Just because the colors are different from the picture, does not mean that they are left UN-connected.
        You must research and verify everything, and you must never assume anything. That's the rule, are you in?

Comment

I hear ya. Here is what I have so far. The 0/t has four wires, 2 yellow(4ohm) green 8(ohm) to speaker jack(chose green for 8 ohm speaker)The other 2 wires
          red to positive side of standby, and black to ground of speaker jack. So is the plate powered by the p/t or o/t cause I dont have anymore to choose from.
          I have a question into triode, they only have one o/t to choose from for the tweed application. I was just trying to get a better understanding while I waited for a response from them.
          I have done quite a few mods and repairs(well maybe 4) and wanted to build and learn from this one. I have a technical degree(not electronics) and am currently enrolled in
          an electronics course. I will get it eventually! thanks

Comment

here is a spec sheet on transformer.
            thanks
            http://www.classictone.net/40-18022.pdf

Comment

I ORDERED THE WRONG TRANSFORMER! that simple.
              thanks for the help.
              karl

Comment

The real problem is that the leads are improperly identified, and you don't know where they are supposed to be connected.
                Tube amp 101:
                NObody is going to hand you the directions and skills on a silver platter.
                To learn these skills, you have to WORK. This means research, and verification. Besides the requirement of proper test equipment and tools, which you MUST have.

There are plenty of vendors who sell tube amp kits, and tell you that you can build it with basic solder skills. They lied.

Comment

Oh bloody heck.

Comment

Hey wanted to thank you the spanking. I ordered the transformer assuming because it was for the 5e3 project that I was building it
                    would come with all the correct specs, which by the way I do know how to read and where they go. I knew enough to know something
                    was incorrect. Next time I will review the transformer wiring diagram before ordering. Sorry to waste your time asking a da question.

Happy building, and thanks again for the spanking, you have made me more determined to learn all I can about this passion.
                    karl

Comment

Its not a waste of time

Comment

Originally posted by divineamps View Post
                        here is a spec sheet on transformer.
                        thanks
                        http://www.classictone.net/40-18022.pdf
                        Is this, or is this not the actual transformer you bought? The colors are irrelevant.
                        If yes, it should be easy to figure it out with any half way decent DC ohm meter..
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

Hello again
                          I have the 5e3 up and going. thanks for your help. I emailed triode and Chad emailed me correct layout for the transformer.
                          I am learning so I just wanted someone to view the voltage readings and tell me if they look correct. The amp is very clean and
                          at low volumes sounds good, however when driven is does not have a good breakup sound just kinda muddy. I am using a weber signature series
                          similar to the current 12s ceramic speaker.
                          Here are the voltage readings
                          v1
                          pins
                          1-121
                          2-0
                          3-2v
                          6-120v
                          7-0
                          8-2v
                          v2
                          1-155
                          2-0
                          3-132
                          6-197
                          7-170
                          8-45
                          b+ 373 volts
                          Using jj 5y3 gt eh 12ay7 v1 tung sol 12ax7 v2
                          thanks
                          Karl

Comment

I have the 5e3 up and going. thanks for your help. I emailed triode and Chad emailed me correct layout for the transformer.
                            I am learning so I just wanted someone to view the voltage readings and tell me if they look correct. The amp is very clean and
                            at low volumes sounds good, however when driven is does not have a good breakup sound just kinda muddy. I am using a weber signature series
                            similar to the current 12s ceramic speaker.
                            Here are the voltage readings
                            v1
                            pins
                            1-121
                            2-0
                            3-2v
                            6-120v
                            7-0
                            8-2v
                            v2
                            1-155
                            2-0
                            3-132
                            6-197
                            7-170
                            8-45
                            b+ 373 volts
                            Using jj 5y3 gt eh 12ay7 v1 tung sol 12ax7 v2
                            thanks
                            Karl

Comment

I've been building tube amps for 12 years and I still don't even come close to knowing what some guys on this board know. However , I read as much as I could,I have all kendrick's books and there in shreads taped back together several times as well as pittman's too. Those were my start up references. I guess I'm just saying books are a good place to start so you can wrap your head around the theory. memorize the pins on a tube such as a 12ax7 and what there for PGCHHPGCH= 1 plate 2 grid 3 cathode 4 heater 5 heater.....etc this will serve you well at least it has for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X