Where do you buy skinny coax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you buy skinny coax?

I'm looking for coax cable with braided shield, outer diameter less than 1/8".

Does anyone else have better pricing than StewMac? ($18.25/25ft = $.73/ft for 26 AWG, 0.10" OD)
    STEWMAC.COM : Shielded Circuit Wire - 25 feet

I'm sure StewMac doesn't make their own cable; does anyone know the manufacturer and part number?

Thanks,
    -rb
    Last edited by rjb; 03-01-2012, 05:00 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Originally posted by rjb View Post
    I'm looking for coax cable with braided shield, outer diameter less than 1/8".

Does anyone else have better pricing than StewMac? ($18.25/25ft = $.73/ft for 26 AWG, 0.10" OD)
    STEWMAC.COM : Shielded Circuit Wire - 25 feet

I'm sure StewMac doesn't make their own cable; does anyone know the manufacturer and part number?

Thanks,
    -rb
    Not sure what this has to do with Pickups?
    Not sure where Merlin is either?
    I get amp parts from Tube Depot.
    Wire - Interconnect, Instrument & Microphone
    Mojo has wire also.
    Mojotone Amplifier and Guitar Wire
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Not sure what this has to do with Pickups?
      Here's an example: http://harmony.demont.net/pickups/images/0034.jpg

Not sure where Merlin is either?
      Think regional accents, as in "Welcome to Bawlmer, Hon."
      Bawlmer is the largest city in the state of Merlin.

Mojo has wire also.
      Mojotone Amplifier and Guitar Wire
      Thanks for the leads, Hon.
      -rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Hey, I found Markertek has better pricing on the Mogami spiral-shielded cable; search for "unbalanced microphone cable".

-rb
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

What you want is the Mojo 2 Wire with shield.
          AWG 28-Ga 2-Conductor Shielded Guitar Pickup Wire
          hook up the white and black to start and finish, and ground the shield.
          You can feed it either way to change polarity.
          My favorite Pickup wire.
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

What you want is the Mojo 2 Wire with shield.
            That's great if you're making a pickup from scratch.

Maybe not the best choice if you're, say, replacing the lead cable on an old DeArmond - where the coil start is soldered directly to the steel baseplate, and the cover would squash a thicker cable against the coil....

But I will keep the Mojo wire in mind for more "modern" applications.

-rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

That's great if you're making a pickup from scratch.

Maybe not the best choice if you're, say, replacing the lead cable on an old DeArmond - where the coil start is soldered directly to the steel baseplate, and the cover would squash a thicker cable against the coil....

But I will keep the Mojo wire in mind for more "modern" applications.

-rb
              Your probably correct.
              I just rewound 2 DeArmonds, and that is why they were broke.
              Soldering a 42-44AWG start lead directly to ground is a very bad idea IMO.
              I always do a start and finish.
              At least put a tail on the start and solder it to ground.
              Do it how ever you like, I do.
              T
              Terry

Comment

I just rewound 2 DeArmonds, and that is why they were broke.
                Soldering a 42-44AWG start lead directly to ground is a very bad idea IMO.
                In my case, the enamel-coated baseplate was not rusted, the coil's start connection was still intact, and coil did not need to be rewound.
                But the original coax had been chopped off.

I wouldn't want to *unsolder* this 43AWG start lead if I didn't have to.
                Of course, you can do whatever you want, if you are starting from scratch.
                -rb
                Attached Files
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Answering my own question

Belden 8216 Coax is one P/N that meets my criterion (26 AWG w/braided shield, 0.11" OD).
                  It runs about 62-65 cents a foot- when purchased in 100 ft rolls.

The cheapest price I've found is some functionally equivalent "old but unused" cable at a surplus house for $10/100ft (+ $5 to meet min order + $14 min shipping = $29/100ft = $0.29/ft).

Later,
                  -rb
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Belden 8216 Coax is one P/N that meets my criterion (26 AWG w/braided shield, 0.11" OD).
                    It runs about 62-65 cents a foot- when purchased in 100 ft rolls.

The cheapest price I've found is some functionally equivalent "old but unused" cable at a surplus house for $10/100ft (+ $5 to meet min order + $14 min shipping = $29/100ft = $0.29/ft).

Later,
                    -rb
                    Check this out.
                    24 Ga. shielded PTFE @ 20Cents a foot.(Teflon)
                    Wire
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

A good few years back, I bought 26 miles of a really thin 75 Ohm coax made by Raychem. It came for the computer manufacturer ICL who were closing down a factory.

I still have a couple of miles left. It is silver coated, copper plated steel strands and cost a fortune originally. RS used to sell something similar for about £2.00 a metre. I sold it for £0.15 a metre as I got is so cheap. It is perfect for video and word-clock, but I have also used it very successfully for all unbalanced audio applications and especially for guitar tie-lines in studio installations.

I am in the UK though, so probably not much use to you.

Comment

Answering my own question some more

With a bit of research, I reckon the cable I'm searching is RG-174/U (7x26AWG, 50-ohm, 0.100"OD).

It seems the cheapest way to source small quantities may be to cut off the connectors from an assembled cable.
                        I just ordered a 9-meter long "WiFi antenna extender cable" on eBay for $3.50.

Another alternative might be to buy Mogami spiral-shielded "unbalanced mic cable" from Markertek:
                        W2368 .079"OD $.19/ft (possibly microphonic?)
                        W2330 .118"OD $.25/ft

Thanks, all
                        -rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                        X