Frankenstein 5F6 preamp section to AA1164 power section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenstein 5F6 preamp section to AA1164 power section

I am itching to build something to better suit my needs than my little SF Champ...and I miss having vibrato. My last amp was a Weber HP Princeton, that I modded to my liking. I more or less "browned" it down to more of a tweed flavor...sold it to fund some studio upgrades.

Anyway, I've been going though and speculating what I really want. I think it comes down to the 5F6 front end mated to the AA1164 power section. Although, I don't want the reverb, just the vibrato. This is going to be a head only, and adjustible imp.

Has anyone built something along these lines, and what kind of pitfalls am I looking at? I do plan on running lower voltages to the power section than the standard, so I understand I will have to make changes as I go. I orginally planned on a 5E3, and have a 300-0-300 100ma tranny on order with either a 5Y3, 5V4, or GZ34 on hand to play with voltages.

Pics of my old princeton, the new cab I built from scratch (with '62 Jensen Triaxx grille fabric), and speaker that's in it. I use the cab now as an Ext cab for my champ
    Attached Files

Originally posted by ron vogel View Post
    I am itching to build something to better suit my needs than my little SF Champ...and I miss having vibrato. My last amp was a Weber HP Princeton, that I modded to my liking. I more or less "browned" it down to more of a tweed flavor...sold it to fund some studio upgrades.

Anyway, I've been going though and speculating what I really want. I think it comes down to the 5F6 front end mated to the AA1164 power section. Although, I don't want the reverb, just the vibrato. This is going to be a head only, and adjustible imp.

Has anyone built something along these lines, and what kind of pitfalls am I looking at? I do plan on running lower voltages to the power section than the standard, so I understand I will have to make changes as I go. I orginally planned on a 5E3, and have a 300-0-300 100ma tranny on order with either a 5Y3, 5V4, or GZ34 on hand to play with voltages.

Pics of my old princeton, the new cab I built from scratch (with '62 Jensen Triaxx grille fabric), and speaker that's in it. I use the cab now as an Ext cab for my champ
    Well, building an amp from scratch requires a lot of time effort and money.
    It also requires tools, safety training, and test equipment.
    Posting the schematic, will probably yield some good suggestions.
    Keep at it, and don't electrocute yourself.

Comment

Working...
    X