• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCBs and you 1958

http://anniversary.ipc.org/pdfs/Book1958.pdf

Awesome historical pamphlet.
    Thanks.

Comment

Awsome. But I have to say that "solder fillet" doesn't sound very appetizing.?.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Cool stuff. The earliest printed circuit radio in my collection is a Motorola dated 1956-that's the copyright on the circuit board. My old man was working on this stuff for the defense department back in the fifties.

Comment

That's pretty neat! Good info on repairing circuit traces still useful today, likewise good info on resistances for different trace sizes.

The "Use of smaller plug-in boards for computers is a definite trend" caption on page 13 coupled with the picture of a board with two tube sockets on it is pretty funny by today's standards, but was "cutting-edge" at the time I'm sure.

I was about 3 years old when this came out...

Comment

Yikes! All those curved traces make me dizzy...

Comment

There were also primitive integrated circuits at the time made by Centralab and others that were square, flat potted R/C networks. You'll occasionally see them in Gibson amps. I think I have a few around here somewhere.

Comment

Page 51 shows what looks to be PCB mounted tube sockets! Though I can't tell just how they're mounted. It looks like the pin tabs may just be folded over snd soldered to the pad!?!.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Kinda like the old Mesa Marks?

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Dawg View Post
                    Kinda like the old Mesa Marks?
                    It was a bad idea then. It's a bad idea now. Did the Mark amps have the socket tabs layed over and soldered to the pads?!? Not through hole? I've never opened one. Going to google it now to see. Because that's lame.

Comment

It looks like Mesa did them several ways in different eras. The earliest ones appear to be chassis mounted with the preamp tubes under the board. Mid era looks like tabs layed right on the pads and soldered. The latest ones are through hole. I could see laying the tabs over and soldering to the pads being "ok" for something like a console stereo or table radio where the tube last for a hundred years. But WRT guitar amps that dog won't hunt.

Comment

Comment

Now I see what Soundguruman meant about the Mesa PCBs suffering breakdown between tracks.
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I think I replaced a few tube sockets in this amp. The biggest problem is holding the bent over pins down while soldering them. It takes three hands.

Comment

Working...
                            X