relic my poles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relic my poles!

Had the odd customer of late wanting relic jobs on my pickups. Now the plastic bits I have in the bag ... been doing that type of work for a fair while ... it's just the magnets on Strat pickups I have a problem with: I want that black, gunky look, but can't seem to find a chemical or treatment to get it. There's a tutorial on U tube that recommends 'aluminium etch' but I can't find anything answering that description in the UK. Someone else told me that 'cold gun blue' would work ... but surely that is meant to act on steel. Anyone tried this?

birchwood Casey Perma Gun blue works great.
    Several on here use it.
    Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue rifle pistol | eBay
    Good Luck,
    B_T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      birchwood Casey Perma Gun blue works great.
      Several on here use it.
      Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue rifle pistol | eBay
      Good Luck,
      B_T
      Thanks ... this forum is a fantastic resource!

Comment

It says blue, but you well get more a charcoal look.
        It works on plated Pole screws and plated pole slugs.
        I have used it many times.
        However it doesn't work on stainless steel screws.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Try vinegar - works! You can even choose one to your taste!
          Bernd
          www.t-rod-guitars.de

Comment

Originally posted by Sportbernd View Post
            Try vinegar - works! You can even choose one to your taste!
            Bernd
            I aged a pole screw this way once when I had to make it match an old Shaw humbucker. I hung the screw over a plate with vinegar in it.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yeah, you want the fumes to do the work. I age some hardware that way, suspended in a jar with some vinegar at the bottom. For chrome I use acid.

Comment

That Blue stuff looks promising. Does anyone have long term experience with it? Im wondering if any of the chemicals could actually corrode through the copper insulation over time killing the pup?

Comment

Working...
                X