Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a cathod follower invert the phase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a cathod follower invert the phase?

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me if a cathode follower in a typical Marshall style circuit inverts the phase of the signal?

Thanks!

JR

90 degrees out of phase with the input!

Comment

The cathodefollower-section (V2B, just before the tonestack) does NOT invert the signal.
      Love, peace & loudness,
      Chris
      http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

Chris, phase relation in a valve is not constant? +90 wrt the grid for the plate and -90 for the cathode? I thought so!

Comment

It's constant but depending on the use/circuit itself. At the plate: out of phase, at the cathode: in phase. (see V2B in a tweed 5E3 Deluxe as example)
          Love, peace & loudness,
          Chris

Comment

Chris, i don't know what you mean. The signal is 0 degrees on the cathode with relation to the grid?

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
              Chris, i don't know what you mean. The signal is 0 degrees on the cathode with relation to the grid?
              Yep!
              Out of phase: 180 degrees, in phase 0 degree[s])
              Love, peace & loudness,
              Chris

Comment

As the signal rises at the grid, it causes more current to flow through the tube, this causes the voltage across the cathode resistor to rise at the same time. And due to the current through the plate load resistor, the voltage drop across the resistor rises, which means the voltage at the plate will decrease.

So the voltage changes at the cathode follow the voltage changes at the grid. Not in the sense of happening after or later, but in the sense of they do what the grid does, as in follow directions.

And the voltages at the plate are the exact opposite (other than amplitude) of those at the grid,

There is no phase lag between elements - we are taling audio here - the cathode is right in step with the grid, and the plate is 180 degrees out.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  So the voltage changes at the cathode follow the voltage changes at the grid. Not in the sense of happening after or later, but in the sense of they do what the grid does, as in follow directions.
                  Hence the reason it is called a cathode follower...
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

As the signal rises at the grid, it causes more current to flow through the tube, this causes the voltage across the cathode resistor to rise at the same time. And due to the current through the plate load resistor, the voltage drop across the resistor rises, which means the voltage at the plate will decrease.

And the voltages at the plate are the exact opposite (other than amplitude) of those at the grid,

There is no phase lag between elements - we are taling audio here - the cathode is right in step with the grid, and the plate is 180 degrees out.
                    Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                    Hence the reason it is called a cathode follower...
                    Thanks a lot Enzo and Bruce. Not my original question, but i've opened my big mouth to give a plainly wrong answer and stand corrected I don't know where i picked up that 90° ahead and 90° lag thing, over here of course, but about what???

Bye.

Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
                      I don't know where i picked up that 90° ahead and 90° lag thing, over here of course, but about what???
                      Me knows!Me knows!
                      It's the straight angle wich reaches the boiling temperature point at 90° Celsius!
                      (sorry folks,I couldn't resist!

Comment

This is true even outside the audio band, since the grid to cathode capacitor is not charged appreciably in grounded plate operation.

Comment

OK, while I learned electronics in an RF environment, it was 40-50 years ago, so I forgot a lot. Didn't want someone coming back with "No no no, at UHF there is a 4 degree phase shift..."

Thanks
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Basseur View Post
                            Me knows!Me knows!
                            It's the straight angle wich reaches the boiling temperature point at 90° Celsius!
                            (sorry folks,I couldn't resist!
                            Yeah all right!

But is it in relation with the rotation of the cow's tail or definately not? Or is there a Π fraction of the rotation of the cow's tail in relation with it???

Comment

Since no explanation of grounded cathode and grounded anode operation is given, I'll give my own.

In the grounded cathode configuration, the input is the grid, the anode is the output and the cathode is the reference for both, hence grounded cathode.

The gain of this stage without the degenerative feedback of a cathode resistor is:

dv(a-k)/dv(g-k) = -mu (note the sign) or dv(a-k) = -mu*dv(g-k)

In the grounded anode configuration, the input is the grid, the cathode is the output and the cathode is the reference for both, hence grounded anode.

Before we go on, we need the anode to grid voltage. That is simply:

dv(a-g) = dv(a-k)-dv(g-k) = -mu*dv(g-k)- dv(g-k) = -(mu+1)*dv(g-k)

The gain of this stage is:

dv(k-a)/dv(g-a) = (-mu*dv(g-k))/(-(mu+1)*dv(g-k)) = mu/(mu+1)

Note that there is always a loss with the “cathode follower”.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

Comment

Working...
                              X