Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes one buffer better than another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes one buffer better than another?

Hey all,
    I built my first buffer a few years ago off the amz site, first the jfet, then the opamp buffer. Since then I've built the Cornish jfet buffer, the klon buffer, the cae mc-401, i've compared the schematics for the axess bs-2, etc. It's not really a quest for the best, but I'm really interested in what makes one buffer better than another. I've always run my opamp buffers at 16v off a charge pump, so I'm not taking that into account.

So help me learn a little. There are differences between all of these, but not huge ones (other than the boost functions), so when someone says one buffer is better designed than another, what are they seeing? The bs-2 is very highly regarded, but what makes it different, especially if all are run at higher voltage?

Thanks!

So far as they have high input impedance, low output impedance and unity gain, they are all the same.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

That's about what I can figure too. I noticed some are a little brighter than others, but that's easy to sort in the design. Just didn't know if the buffers by the "gurus" (bradshaw or friedman) were any better by design somehow.

Comment

Well, they *might*.
        Post a couple schematics.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here are a few for your consideration...

Click image for larger version

Name:	amz opamp.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	824433

Name:	CAE MC-401 Line Driver:Boost.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	824434

Name:	Klon.jpg