amp that starts to hum and slowly gets louder and louder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp that starts to hum and slowly gets louder and louder

ive got a new build supro with a pair of 6973 tubes. amp works fine, but after a few minutes of being "on" a hum slowly starts creeping up and gets louder the longer its on. after about 15 minutes the hum is loud enough to tell something isn't right so i turn it off before something bad happens. i thought maybe it was the 250ohm cathode bias resistor on the power tubes since it was getting hot, and i replaced that with a 20w resistor and that clearly wasn't the problem. then i thought maybe one of the PI caps was leaky so i pulled the 6973 power tubes and left it on for 15 minutes. set my meter to 10vDC and couldn't get any reading on the 6973 side of the caps so i guess that rules out leaking caps? i haven't replaced the bias cap in parallel with the 250ohm 20w resistor, just figured it was new. i did take the amp to a gig and it blew a fuse. i checked it out and one of the power tubes bases cracked and it de-gassed which blew the fuse. anyone got any other ideas how i can troubleshoot this one?
    thanks!

layout attached
    Attached Files

Confirm that your power tube control grids have the expected ground return resistance.
    Confirm the power tubes cathode resistance to ground.
    Power up and monitor the cathode and B+ voltages.
    Pete.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
    X