Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tube Shop - anyone shopped there?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has shopped at The Tube Shop in Norfolk, Virginia? I'm also in Virginia and have bought from KCA before... Support local business, etc. Just seeking opinions, good, bad, other? Thanks in advance,

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

I don't buy used tubes, I usually buy new ones for reliability.

Comment

Thanks, generally I agree with that, but I'm shopping for a Bassman 100 that I got for $50... I'm trying to avoid new preamp tubes, I've just had mostly trouble with them, and most of the amps I've bought have original preamp tubes that keep running for quite some time, so I'm willing to shell out cheap money on a chance they'll work. Power tubes are a different story - I won't pay for them used unless I know exactly where they came from. But I'm always happy to unload them off my friends for free...

Anyone else shopped there?

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
        Thanks, generally I agree with that, but I'm shopping for a Bassman 100 that I got for $50... I'm trying to avoid new preamp tubes, I've just had mostly trouble with them, and most of the amps I've bought have original preamp tubes that keep running for quite some time, so I'm willing to shell out cheap money on a chance they'll work. Power tubes are a different story - I won't pay for them used unless I know exactly where they came from. But I'm always happy to unload them off my friends for free...

Anyone else shopped there?

Justin
        I would think if your just talking Preamp tubes?
        If they are tested and they are on the cheap, I would say Go for it!
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Hey Terry,

Sorry it's been a few days... I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot; prices are okay. Of course, I just picked up a 63Truvox reel-to-reel with (all Mullard) ecc83, ecc81, 2xecc82, 2xef86. Can't try the ef86s, but all the others worked and sounded GREAT! No microphonics, no hiss, no noise... I'll rewire one of my Bassman 100 channels to try the ef86s... Not too bad for $45! There was one other ecc81 that had cracked, and that's probably why it was retired a long time ago.

Justin

Comment

I bought a JJ ECC83 and a Mullard El84 from the Tube Shop
            These were recommended as inexpensive upgrades for the Epiphone Valve Jr in an article in vintage guitar magazine
            so I saw the Tube Shop's ad in the same magazine and called them up
            the tubes came very well packaged and definitely sound better than the stock tubes that came with the amp
            Very pleasant gentleman, don't remember his name, very helpful with my lame ignorant questions.
            My Dad was in the Army and I graduated from high school in Norfolk, and hadn't heard people talk like that since then, so that was a nice side benefit

Comment

Working...
            X