Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'62 avri telecaster wiring: Solo pickup & blend functions relative to 3-way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 avri telecaster wiring: Solo pickup & blend functions relative to 3-way switch

Hi Folks,

I've got a new '62 AVRI Telecaster with stock/conventional '62 Custom wiring (see attached Wiring Diagram below), and I LOVE the sound of the two pickups on this guitar, but I am struggling mightily to understand a few things in terms of its wiring scheme and the S2 or 'Blend' setting on the 3-Way Switch.

Readers can refer to the attached Wiring Diagram for specific details, but basically, it appears that the "Blend" function (i.e., the middle or S2 position on the 3-way selector switch) is completely non-functional on this or any other Telecaster with such a "vintage" wiring scheme, and for the life of me, I cannot understand WHY Fender would have consciously chosen such a limitation. Accordingly, I have started this thread in hopes of getting some clarification from knowledgeable others here on whether I am interpreting its behavior/intended performance correctly, and if so, what my possible options for re-wiring might be. As it is currently wired (with the vintage '62 wiring scheme), the guitar's pickups and 3-Way Switch behave as follows:

Neck Pickup (Solo): S3 (or fully forward) Position = + Neck signal
    Neck/Bridge Pickup (Blend): S2 Position on the 3-Way Switch (middle) = + Neck signal but (-) Bridge signal (i.e., no "blend" function, functionally the same as Solo Neck Position)
    Bridge Pickup (Solo): S1 (or fully rearward) Position = + Bridge signal

QUESTIONS:

1) Am I losing my mind by somehow misinterpreting things with this guitar? Or is this "Blend" anomaly typical behavior for a circa '62 Fender Telecaster?

2) If this phenomenon is occurring by design, why would this sort of dysfunctional arrangement (i.e., lack of a "Blend" function) be considered "practical" by Fender Instruments? Why even have "3-Way" Switch when it can only function in TWO positions?

3) What are my best options in terms of re-wiring this instrument that would allow me to recover the S2/Middle or "Blend" function?

NOTE: I should also add that the so-called "treble-bleed" capacitor (#16 on the attached wiring diagram), which shunts treble to ground at the Volume pot, made the Neck pickup ultra-muddy sounding, so it has since been removed.

Thanks ahead-of-time to all who choose to respond.
    Attached Files
    "I am not the same having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."

Maryanne Radmacher Hershey

I apologize for perhaps jumping the gun on this thread a bit before thoroughly researching the topic, because through further research, I think I've probably answered most my own questions here. Namely that the '52, '53, '62 and probably most other so-called "vintage" Telecasters had this oddball wiring scheme for the pickups, and yes, they were apparently (but inexplicably) intended to behave as described by design (i.e., no middle or "blend" function on a 3-way switch that is functionally a "2-way" switch).

It also appears that the "modern" or American Telecaster wiring scheme (and perhaps some others) would offer the best approach to regaining function of the "blend" or middle position, but frankly, based on the wiring diagrams, it looks like additional ground lugs would be required in both pickup cavities along with the potential need for further shielding, and I just don't see the need to get into all of that. The guitar is currently whisper-quiet as it is, and I can probably attain a blended Neck + Bridge setting on the switch (when needed) by simply rolling the 3-way between the two positions on the dial.

Anyway, thanks again folks! I guess we can close this thread.
    "I am not the same having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."

Maryanne Radmacher Hershey

Comment

I have a 4-way switch on my Tele that gives an extra sound with the 2 pups in series, kind of a nice option.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
      X