Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a transformer for a Crate BX100 bass amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a transformer for a Crate BX100 bass amp...

Part number on it is 94-291-01. Anyone here happen to have one they would be willing to sell us? The only transformer I can find for this amp is one by Mercury Magnetics, but I don't think this amp is worth putting a transformer that's $165.00 in.....

Did you contact Loud Technologies and ask if they still have these transformers? They are who makes Crate, and if they have the part, any Crate dealer could get it for you.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Did you contact Loud Technologies and ask if they still have these transformers? They are who makes Crate, and if they have the part, any Crate dealer could get it for you.
      I called our local Crate service center yesterday, and they told me that Loud no longer make these, which reflects what I saw elsewhere online, hence my asking if I might get lucky here and find someone with the transformer in question...

Comment

That is OK so far, but it is best to CALL Loud directly, I bet the local shop didn't take that step. They don;t make that model, but a part could be in inventory.

Otherwise, looks like you need about a 30-0-30 transformer

BX100 is a discontinued model, it has that 30-0-30 or so transformer to make +/-40VDC. You call it out as 94-291-01.

BT100 is a current model. It also uses +/-40VDC, so its needs are the same. The BT100 bill of materials calls for a 94-291-02, and in the description it calls it a "94-291-01 reverse mount."

SO the transformer for the BT100 ought to work for the BX100, at least electrically.

The KXB100 amp is also current and it lists the 94-291-01 as its power transformer. In fact, the description just calls it the "Crate 100W power transformer." And that appears to be exactly the part you want.

SO there are at least two current models using your transformer. I'd call them and see if they have them, if it were me.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If the primary side is open and the transformer doesn't look cooked, it may be an open thermal fuse. It isn't good practice IMHO to do it for a shop repair. But if it is your amp and you can get to the fuse, you might want to just replace it with a pigtail fuse. People have varying opinions on this, but I have saved a lot of equipment for personal use this way with no catastrophic results that otherwise would not be economically repairable. I would never do it for a customer without a big disclaimer and a thorough explanation of what was done.

Comment

Originally posted by cowabungamusic View Post
            Part number on it is 94-291-01. Anyone here happen to have one they would be willing to sell us? The only transformer I can find for this amp is one by Mercury Magnetics, but I don't think this amp is worth putting a transformer that's $165.00 in.....
            One little detail:
            If the primary is open, what else in the circuit CAUSED it to open?
            The amp probably has a short in it somewhere.
            So besides replacing the X former, you have to correct what is shorted in the circuit too.
            Is all this worthwhile? No.
            And would anybody pay for a mercury transformer, to fix a Crate amp? Bad decision.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
              So besides replacing the X former, you have to correct what is shorted in the circuit too.
              Is all this worthwhile? No.
              So it all boils down to: "¿is it worthwhile to repair a burnt amp?"
              If the answer is no ... what are we doing here?
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Seriously, I have seen those thermal fuses fail for no apparent reason. Maybe a power surge, duty cycle, or just plain old defective thermal fuse. That's why I said if the transformer doesn't look cooked. I have stuff running that I replaced the thermal fuse 10 years ago. If that's what the problem is, it's no big deal to measure the current draw, leakage to chassis, etc. It would also give you the opportunity to trouble shoot if there is a problem and correct it before you order a new expensive transformer.

Comment

Sorry I haven't responded, I have been working after hours on a couple install jobs. The transformer is indeed cooked, and I know that there will be something that caused it. This customer of mine still wants us to repair it for him, I talked to him yesterday. I have a transformer on the way, and will get our service guy into the amp further once the transformer gets here. I would definitely not spend the money on the Mercury transformer, not that it's a bad transformer, but this amp certainly isn't worth putting that sort of money into. The factory transformer, however, is inexpensive enough to make it worthwhile.

Comment

Just a curiosity, how much does the factory charge for the original PT?
                    Is it competitive ($$$) with a generic transformer same specs?
                    Of course pricewise a Mercury is out of the question, and no much "sonic improvement" to be had by "upgrading" an SS amp PT.
                    Thanks.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Just a curiosity, how much does the factory charge for the original PT?
                      Is it competitive ($$$) with a generic transformer same specs?
                      Of course pricewise a Mercury is out of the question, and no much "sonic improvement" to be had by "upgrading" an SS amp PT.
                      Thanks.
                      I got this transformer for $25, it's an actual Crate transformer, but it's the #02 instead of #01, so our service guy may have to extend the wires on it if it's a reverse mount, but the specs are the same so it will work.

Comment

Cool, thanks.
                        Very reasonable price.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The new tranny has fresh smoke, all ready to go.

Comment

You know, soundguruman, I think the forums at Harmony Central are just begging for your deep and useful insights. WHy not go there for a while and help them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              You know, soundguruman, I think the forums at Harmony Central are just begging for your deep and useful insights. WHy not go there for a while and help them out.
                              I don't know, is putting $150 worth of parts in labor into a $75 amp an advisable course of action?
                              Really what it boils down to, if I can buy a working one on Craig's list for $75, why spend $150 (or more) to fix a burned up one?
                              Some people just refuse to face the reality, and let it go...
                              That reality being, that Crate amps aren't worth fixing, and investing money in something that IS worth fixing, is an advisable investment.
                              You and I both know that after all this money and effort is spent, that this amp will just fail again for another reason, and end up in the repair shop again.

The difference between me and you...
                              I am willing to call a dead horse "dead." You want the dead horse to get up and plow the field again.
                              Last edited by soundguruman; 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X