VT-212 Carvin amp Rectifier diodes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Curtis, dB AudioTech View Post
    I don't see a D3 & D4 on the schematic; The 4 CR100 diodes don't have individual designations.
    I'm assuming that the correct schematic for this amp is page 9 of the pdf. The 4 high voltage rectifiers are marked D3, D4, D5 and D6.

There are two power supplies in this amp. One for the high voltage tube section and a separate one for the op amps.

The high voltage power supply (B+) is fed from the power transformer secondary via the two red leads. Each side of the center tapped secondary is rectified by two series connected diodes, D3 and D4 for one leg and D5 and D6 for the other. So you can use a 1N4007 to replace any of these 4 diodes.

The low voltage bipolar supply is fed from the bias tap of the power transformer, the blue wire. The 52 volts ac is rectified by the two diode D1 and D2. D1 creates the negative bias voltage for the output stage as well as the negative voltage for the regulated -15vdc power supply. D2 creates the positive voltage for the regulated +15vdc power supply. Because the voltage requirements of the diodes is lower here, you can use a lower rated diode like a 1N4002 here. That doesn't mean that the higher rated 1N4007 wouldn't work here, it just isn't needed here.

Q1, Q2 and their related components are the two 15 volt regulator circuits.

Comment

Thanks so much for all these explanations on this amp and the schematics. I am now just waiting for parts and cleaning it up a bit. Looking for any other bad parts or solder joints. While there is downtime I will continue to research this amp schematic and really learn about tube amp designs better. This is starting to make more sense but I still got a long way to go.
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
      X