Ordered JJ's for my Bugera 333XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered JJ's for my Bugera 333XL

Thought I would post, That I have been using the Bugera's House brand Prem'i tubes and I got some ECC83S coming and wondering how much difference it should make versing the China tubes.. I hope it will improve the tone...

Chime in anyone!
    Bugera 333XL 212 Combo 2009 Factory Mod KT-77"'s JJ ECC83S
    Roland Cube 20
    Schecter BlackJack SLS C1 SD Blackouts
    Martin DX1AE Acoustic
    Bad Monkey OD
    Line 6 M9 Stompbox
    Behringer EQ700
    Live Wire Cables

Can't say about the JJ tubes. I've been using NOS for first position and Sovtek afterward for a long time now. I read good things about the JJ's for tone. It's probably been about five years since I tried one. At that time it seemed like they were almost all noisy. Hissy and or hummy. Couldn't do that. They may be better now.

FWIW most of the Shuguang 12ax7's sound just fine IMHO. I think you could do worse for performance on average using NOS than Shuguang (blasphemy, I know). They just don't seem to last quite as long as NOS or Russian tubes.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I still like Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7s for Overdrive amps. Like Marshall's.
      You May have to go through several to find one quiet enough for V1.
      If you do, hang on to it.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

The Tube Depot sells the Tung Sol reissue selected for low noise and microphonics for an extra four bucks. Well worth it if you don't buy many tubes. Maybe even if you do. At $18.95 (US) I'll need to try one (since I've officially run out my stash of old RCA's. Now between $50 and $80) and currently running an excellent Telefunken smooth plate as V1 in my personal combo. Though I don't prefere the sound of Telefunken smooth plates for guitar amps it's the last tube I have that doesn't misbehave in this particular amp.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          The Tube Depot sells the Tung Sol reissue selected for low noise and microphonics for an extra four bucks. Well worth it if you don't buy many tubes. Maybe even if you do. At $18.95 (US) I'll need to try one (since I've officially run out my stash of old RCA's. Now between $50 and $80) and currently running an excellent Telefunken smooth plate as V1 in my personal combo. Though I don't prefere the sound of Telefunken smooth plates for guitar amps it's the last tube I have that doesn't misbehave in this particular amp.
          I have 3 Sovteks that came in my Traynor amp.
          I took them out early.
          They are very quiet no hum no noise, and No Tone!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I have 3 Sovteks that came in my Traynor amp.
            I took them out early.
            They are very quiet no hum no noise, and No Tone!
            T
            Aw. C'mon. The 12ax7lps is an excellent sounding tube. It just can't ever be used as V1. Otherwise it's great. But at the same price or more than a selected Tung Sol reissue, why not go with the selected tube? I'll try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Aw. C'mon. The 12ax7lps is an excellent sounding tube. It just can't ever be used as V1. Otherwise it's great. But at the same price or more than a selected Tung Sol reissue, why not go with the selected tube? I'll try them out.
              Mine were the cheaper WAs.
              I just like the others better.
              Haven't tried the LPSs.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Well I finally got my JJ EC83S tubes and put them in, Put a new Bugera 12AX7-A in V1 and I also put in a new Quad set of the Bugera Prem 6L6GC and rebiased the amp to 37.9 and it sounds smoother then before and not near as raspy. I haven't had the oppertunity to open it up yet to see what it really would sound like. I think I want to really get away with the China Power tubes in it.
                Bugera 333XL 212 Combo 2009 Factory Mod KT-77"'s JJ ECC83S
                Roland Cube 20
                Schecter BlackJack SLS C1 SD Blackouts
                Martin DX1AE Acoustic
                Bad Monkey OD
                Line 6 M9 Stompbox
                Behringer EQ700
                Live Wire Cables

Comment

Working...
                X