Keeping a Gretsch in Tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping a Gretsch in Tune

I have both a '67 Tennessean and a '67 Country Gent. Is there some secret to keeping these tuned properly without replacing the tuners? Even without touching the Bigsby, they both need to be tuned too often. Nature of the beast?
    Thanks.

You really should employ locking tuners, but if you don't want to, try these things first. You will need some Super Lube Teflon oil for this:

1- At least 4-6 string wraps around each tuner post.

2- A drop of Super Lube oil in each nut slot (string contact/friction point)

3- A drop of Super Lube on the top of each saddle (string contact/friction point)

4- While not strung up, lube the moving arm axle points

5- Replace the old trem spring, as it might have collapsed and has lost resiliency. Tuning stability all depends on this one spring, which counterbalances all of the string tension.

If your strings are well-anchored at the posts, and all string and other friction points are lubed to minimize drag, you have a better chance of staying in tune.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I've had a '67 tennessean since '67) Remember that the bridge floats and does not compensate. You must measure the distance from the zero fret / nut each time you change strings. Being out a little will throw it out of tune. It is the nature of this instrument to give tuning problems. You can minimize the problem with lube but not get rid of it. It helps to play near the nut. You could disable the trem by replaceing the spring with a solid tube to disable it. That will help.

Comment

When you put on the string, lock it over itself at the tuner, tune it to pitch
        pull on the string to stretch it out, then tune it back to pitch
        repeating this for each string over and over, eventually, the string will stay in pitch...
        However with a floating bridge tremolo, there are inherent problems...like a stratocaster.

Comment

Appreciate the advice. I'll try. Let you know. I have a '72 Strat. Seems to stay in tune OK, though.

Comment

I noticed that there are two spring sizes....7/8" and 1 inch. Which do you recommend?

Comment

Well obviously, if the bridge floats, when you tighten one string you can expect to loosen the others.
              But repeating tuning and stretching the strings, it will even out after a few tries, eventually.
              I just takes that initial getting used to, that is different from a fixed bridge.

Comment

Go to Gretschpages and search your topic. Endless threads on the subject. I keep my Gretsch guitars in tune every day... with old tuners, and I am a heavy Bigsby user. I greatly prefer the 1" spring.
                Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Originally posted by riz View Post
                  Go to Gretschpages and search your topic. Endless threads on the subject. I keep my Gretsch guitars in tune every day... with old tuners, and I am a heavy Bigsby user. I greatly prefer the 1" spring.
                  I may be wrong but the different spring sizes/heights may be for the different Bigsby formats. The B3 format has just the one roller for anchoring the strings. The other formats have dual rollers, implementing an under and over arrangement for the strings before reaching the bridge. The two likely require different tensions in the spring.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Never saw Gretsch Pages before...great find!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                      I may be wrong but the different spring sizes/heights may be for the different Bigsby formats. The B3 format has just the one roller for anchoring the strings. The other formats have dual rollers, implementing an under and over arrangement for the strings before reaching the bridge. The two likely require different tensions in the spring.
                      The springs set the height of the handle, and the feel.
                      Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Working...
                      X