Behringer mixer white noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer mixer white noise?

Hi, I have a behringer ub2442fx mixer. I bought this new about 8 years ago and after 5 years it started to crap out. It was never abused at all, stayed at home mostly for practices. The one issue is that there is a bunch of white noise being generated on the headphone out section. I read elsewhere on this site to make sure it wasn't coming from other channels. Everything else is muted and turned down. The headphone volume control does not effect it, so when turned off the noise is still present. Sometimes it will be less intense if I rotate jack to a certain position. The second issue, is that certain channels are not functioning. If I patch a mic and pfl the channel it will only register a very weak signal that is inaudible.

thanks for the help,
    Sean

You have control room out jacks and headphones jacks, both controlled by the same panel knob. So if you turn that knob to zero, the phones are still noisy? Seems like what you report. SO are the control room outs also noisy? COnnect each of them to an amp and see. Oh, and are both sides of the phones noisy or just left or right?

WHite noise or hiss is probably a noisy op amp.

If the control room outs are also noisy, then IC48 is probably noisy.

If the CR is clean, and only the phones, then IC1 drives the left phone, and IC2 the right earphone. I mean the sides in your phones, not the two jacks. The jacks are parallel.

The dead channels? Each channel has an Insert jack, which is like a one-jack effects loop. The cutout contacts in them get dirty. Pick a dead channel, put something to its input and connect the mixer to an amp for a listen. Or use phones. Whatever it takes to hear the problem. Now take a plug from something and push it in and out of the insert jack for that channel. Does it wake up that channel, or at least try to? If so, spray some cleaner down the jack and shove a plug in and out to spread it around in there. ANy help?

ANd you can isolate the problem with this jack. Put a signal to the input. Now a cord from the insert to some other jack shopuld allow you to hear that signal if the input circuits work.

The insert is a TRS jack - often called a stereo jack, like for headphones. All the way in is the tip contact, whish is the insert SEND. If you plpug half way in, to the first click, that is the ring contact, which is the RETURN. You should be able to take your signal and plug it into that insert half way and it should come out the mixer. That test at least tells you if trouble is before or after that jack.

But mostly it is the insert jack itself killing the channels.

This is not a problem of this model only or Behringer only. This happens to any mixer with insert jacks, just as the same thing happens to guitar amps with FX loops.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      You have control room out jacks and headphones jacks, both controlled by the same panel knob. So if you turn that knob to zero, the phones are still noisy? Seems like what you report. SO are the control room outs also noisy? COnnect each of them to an amp and see. Oh, and are both sides of the phones noisy or just left or right?

WHite noise or hiss is probably a noisy op amp.

If the control room outs are also noisy, then IC48 is probably noisy.

If the CR is clean, and only the phones, then IC1 drives the left phone, and IC2 the right earphone. I mean the sides in your phones, not the two jacks. The jacks are parallel.

The dead channels? Each channel has an Insert jack, which is like a one-jack effects loop. The cutout contacts in them get dirty. Pick a dead channel, put something to its input and connect the mixer to an amp for a listen. Or use phones. Whatever it takes to hear the problem. Now take a plug from something and push it in and out of the insert jack for that channel. Does it wake up that channel, or at least try to? If so, spray some cleaner down the jack and shove a plug in and out to spread it around in there. ANy help?

ANd you can isolate the problem with this jack. Put a signal to the input. Now a cord from the insert to some other jack shopuld allow you to hear that signal if the input circuits work.

The insert is a TRS jack - often called a stereo jack, like for headphones. All the way in is the tip contact, whish is the insert SEND. If you plpug half way in, to the first click, that is the ring contact, which is the RETURN. You should be able to take your signal and plug it into that insert half way and it should come out the mixer. That test at least tells you if trouble is before or after that jack.

But mostly it is the insert jack itself killing the channels.

This is not a problem of this model only or Behringer only. This happens to any mixer with insert jacks, just as the same thing happens to guitar amps with FX loops.

Hi Enzo, thanks so much for your advice. I finally got around to checking this out.

The noise is not coming out of the CR outputs, only the headphone A & B outs. It actually stopped doing it a little bit once i cleaned some of the jacks. I can still here it slightly and if I insert the jack now and again the noise increases sometimes. I think it's just the left making noise. Is this IC1 something i can purchase and easily replace?

I went through all the channels. The only channel I'm unable to get signal through is channel 1. I noticed some of the other channels are not supplying as much gain, sometimes it will cut through more while i was talking through the mic. I cleaned all the jacks and did insert test on channel 1. At one point it was transferring signal out of channel 1 insert and into the return on channel 2. When I removed insert channel 1 was working. Then a minute later it went dead again and can't get it back. I noticed if i crank the gain all the way up I get one to two green leds to light on the pfl (-30 and -20). So it seems like the problem is with the gain control, because as far as i know this is pre-insert. also, the gain knob feels very loose when rotating, could it be broken?

thanks again for the assistance
      Last edited by Trick; 04-01-2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X