Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster Capcan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster Capcan replacement

I'm overhauling my stock 1971 Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster - replacing tubes, caps and power resistors - there are a few uncommon cap values which made it somewhat difficult to find Mallory replacements. Aside from that, where in the world can I find Mallory cap cans with these values??? or any brand cap can with this value? Mouser's site is very intimidating and i'm not sure I found the right one - and if I did, it's discontinued anyway.

40uf 450v
    40uf 450v

thanks.

btw .... I ordered a pair of Mullard EL34s and 3 Tung-Sol 12ax7s! ...can't wait!

I use the F&T or JJ cap cans from CE Dist.Try www.tubesandmore.com
    Mouser has all the singles in Sprague Atoms and several other brands.
    Do a search and it's less intimidating

Comment

Capcans

Agreed,
      And if you are having difficulty finding a suitable capcan with the values you want, you can of course leave the old can in place for original looks & add terminal strips below & replace the individual caps in the can under the chassis (real estate allowing). (don't just connect to the cap/can terminals...you need to eliminate the old cap from the ckt completely).

You can be within around +20% of the original values for most B+ filters & still be OK, so exact value is not critical. (most filters are +/- 20% anyway).

glen

Comment

I have two of those amps, a 71 and a 72. I don't want to start trouble, but if you are not getting hum or other problems I wouldn't change those cap cans. They are a serious pain to remove and replace.

I changed mine "just because" and they didn't really need it. The tone of the amp changed and I'm not sure I like it the way it is, but there is no going back now.

I've gotten to the point where "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If the amp sounds ok and performs ok without any issues, other than changing tubes I would leave it alone.
        Stop by my web page!

Comment

Just use the 50/50@500v caps. They work fine and have a little more voltage headroom. I see many Traynors running right at 450 volts or beyond. Get some capacitor clamps to mount the new ones. Remove the old ones with a sharp blade screwdriver and a nylon or rubber hammer to pry up the tabs. Don't even think about unsoldering them.

Comment

Working...
          X