Which fuse ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fuse ?

My Mision Amps DIY 5E3 is completely dead (after sitting in the attic for several months). I suspect a blown fuse. I know from the schematics it should be 2A, but are there other specs I should look for when I go out to buy some?

- Koen.

Originally posted by koen View Post
    My Mision Amps DIY 5E3 is completely dead (after sitting in the attic for several months). I suspect a blown fuse. I know from the schematics it should be 2A, but are there other specs I should look for when I go out to buy some?

- Koen.
    I think it's 3AG, 250 volt, 2 amp, slow blow fuse, but you could ask Bruce at Mission Amps, to be sure.

Comment

Yes, 3AG @ 2 amps slo-blo or MDL.
      Actually, a good running 5E3 won't blow a 1a slo-blo fuse either.... but a bad power tube or a short somewhere will blow 3 or 4 amp fuse.

Be careful though... sitting doing nothing for a few months... and then blowing a 2 amp fuse when firing it back up sounds suspicious.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

That's a very good point, all too often ignored.
        When your amp blows a fuse, you need to figure out what makes it blow.
        Instead of just putting another one in, and blowing it again.
        How many amps is a gum wrapper?

Comment

I don't know if it was a blown fuse, that was just a guess. I haven't had the time yet to look at it again, hopefully more in the next couple of days.

Anything else I could check?

And I don't know the answer to soundguruman's question about the gumwrapper...

Comment

Originally posted by koen View Post
            I don't know if it was a blown fuse, that was just a guess. I haven't had the time yet to look at it again, hopefully more in the next couple of days.

Anything else I could check?

And I don't know the answer to soundguruman's question about the gumwrapper...
            In the old days it was common to find an amp with a blown fuse wrapped with the foil wrapper from a strip of gum... the foil bypasses the blown fuse.

At this point, and you guessing, I don't know that the fuse is blown... you could even have a bad outlet... or the amp wasn't plugged in all the way... etc.

Pull all the tubes out and put a new fuse in. Restart the amp with no tubes and see if it lights up.
            If yes, put the rectifier tube in and see if it lights up or blows the fuse.
            If OK, put the preamp tubes back in... if OK, put the power tubes back in.
            If it blows the fuse during any of those steps then you have a little work to do trying to figure out what the load of that test would do to cause a current surge.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Relax, if you don't know about the gum wrapper, you can use a penny instead.

Comment

A quick update.

I stopped by RadioShack on my way home yesterday and got 2A sloblo fuses. But they are too small and don't fit.... grrrr I hate that store. So until I have the correct fuses, I won't be able to do more testing. I'm hesitant to use a gumwrapper or penny to bypass the fuse

Comment

Don't know why your are dissing Radio Shack.
                  You bought the incorrect fuse.
                  1 1/4 x 1/4 is pretty "standard" on tube amps.
                  2.0-Amp 250V 1¼x¼" Slow-Blow Fuse (4-Pack) - RadioShack.com
                  Although some amps require the smaller 5x20 mm (metric) fuses.

Comment

Ok, I feel incredibly stupid. When I flipped the amp on, I flipped the standby switch instead of the power switch. No wonder it wouldn't turn on. That happens when you don't use it for 6 months...

At least I got a set of spare fuses now

Comment

wow, that's pretty bad. a happy ending nonetheless.

Comment

Ha ha... I guess I should ink the chassis so it says On-Off and standby somewhere by the switches....
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                        X