6N1P Triode. Anyone Familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6N1P Triode. Anyone Familiar?

I recently listened to some pricey Audio Research amps at a HiFi store. Much to my surprise, they used a Russian 6N1P triode for their preamp sections, and the EH6550C for their output sections.

I was a bit surprised by the EH 6550C, as I thought the Russians would be more likely to build KT88 than 6550. Whether or not the EH6550C is a real 6550 is another story, i guess.

My real question is whether anyone is familiar with the 6N1P. I've never heard of it, and I'm a bit surprised that a company like AR would build their entire line around what seems to be an odd Russian tube. Am I missing something?
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

The 6N1P is similar to the 6922/6DJ8, but ruggdised.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur B. View Post
      The 6N1P is similar to the 6922/6DJ8, but ruggdised.
      I know a few hi-fi designers using the 6N1P in place of a 12AX7 in high gain applications - phono preamps.

Cheers,
      Thom
      | sigpic Galibier Design
      | ... crafting technology in service of music
      |
      http://www.galibierdesign.com/
      |__________________________________________

Comment

This tube is also used as an output tube in the Bumbox mini-amps that put out about 1 watt.

http://www.sombrabella.com/bumbox/

Comment

Hey Bob,

Do you have this link?

http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/td/gost_e.htm

Rob

Comment

thanks everyone for the links. as it turns out i was only finding tube data sheets written in the cyrillic alphabet, which made it difficult to figure out what was going on. Rob, thanks for that link. i didn't have it.

i guess i might as well have looked it up in the Wikipedia: link
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Maybe this?

Hi Bob,
              You might look at this (Latin characters):
              http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../054/2/279.pdf
              If the above isn't enough relevant for your needs,just let me know and I'll scan for you some other tube catalogue pages (altough,books unavailable in US).
              HTH!
              Regards,
              Le Basseur

Comment

...as power tube.

The kit (Gilmore Jr) I recently built uses the 6N1P for power. I did a fair amount of research to find out about the tube since I'd never heard of it. My understanding is the 6N1P is not so mainstream, but well respected as a highly linear preamp tube and line driver among the HiFiers. Svetlana makes (or markets) a current production, and you can find info there: http://www.svetlana-tubes.com/#

I've been wondering what an all-6N1P amp would sound like??

Comment

'nother link

More Russian tube info from a German site (wish I could read German but I'm barely able to reed the noosepepper),

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Russ...he_Roehren.htm

Comment

Yeah, sorry guys for first post with link, but here is relevant link, look at 6N1P-EV | 6DJ8 | ECC88 | 6922 | Double Triode Tube , and check 6N1P-EV description on English. I'm owner this site, and all information true.

Thx, USSRTRADEcom
                    Interesting Information about Pentode, Double Triode, Nixie tubes and etc. Follow me on [URL="http://www.TWITTER.com/UssrTradeCom"]http://www.TWITTER.com/UssrTradeCom[/URL]

Comment

REDDI

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                      I recently listened to some pricey Audio Research amps at a HiFi store. Much to my surprise, they used a Russian 6N1P triode for their preamp sections, and the EH6550C for their output sections.

I was a bit surprised by the EH 6550C, as I thought the Russians would be more likely to build KT88 than 6550. Whether or not the EH6550C is a real 6550 is another story, i guess.

My real question is whether anyone is familiar with the 6N1P. I've never heard of it, and I'm a bit surprised that a company like AR would build their entire line around what seems to be an odd Russian tube. Am I missing something?
                      Also worth noting that the 6N-1P is used in the A-Designs REDDI valve DI box, to excellent effect.

Comment

Abbundant and cheap, two features which probably make it very popular in "new" designs.
                        I would use them, if I could get them in, say, 200 unit packs at factory price.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Juan, when my real estate lady visited recently after finding my apartment for me a year ago, she saw my lab in the largest bedroom. She said her husband would love to see it. I invited him over last week. We are about the same age and both engineers. He was excited to see some of the gear and invited me to see his shop in his apartment. I made the trek over to the other side of town and found a much smaller room where everything was packed in but was amazed to find such a high quality machine shop in a 9 square meter room. He had a milling machine, two sizes of lathes, TIG welder, and every precision machine tool I could imagine. He is primarily working at home as an inventor in high voltage systems and in lasers so is machining lots of exotic materials. He had an interesting collection of 70s-80s lab test instruments, the basics but of all top quality. He then pulled out some large boxes of tubes and showed random pieces to me. He had over a thousand according to his estimate, all either boxed new or wrapped in paper and marked the type, source and characteristics. There were all types, some I had never seen before but when he offered to give me some I selected 6P3C-e that I could always use. The next day he called and asked if I would do him a favor and take all the tubes since his space is so limited and he never uses tubes anymore. I got them all home yesterday. All new, all carefully wrapped, many ceramic sockets and matching shields, some real interesting stuff, most suitable for AF applications. There is an interesting beam power tube with two plate caps he says is a good 27 watt per section AF amp that looks interesting. I spent about 1/2 the night sorting them. He worked as an engineer at Svetlana in the optical electronics division for a while and got all those tubes. What I really wanted was the GM-5 or 3cx300ae that they used to make, an exterior anode metal ceramic tube for AF. I've build several amps with them, big amps with a part of small tubes. A pair could generate 600 watts in AB1, each the size of a door knob. Their plate z matched an off the shelf Hammond 275 watt transformer that saved a lot in building costs.

Comment

Wow!! Beyond cool!!
                            What you mention reminds me of the Japanese maker of Top of the Top "Audio Note" Hi Fi equipment, who home makes such incredible stuff as *this* turntable:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ginga2012_main.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	827487

and *this* amplifier:

Name:	ongaku_main.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	827488

(Yes, the famous Japanese Ongaku, 27+27W class A with Single Ended 211 triodes, silver wire transformers, 1/8" pure copper chassis, etc.) in this *tiny* cramped little Factory, appartment sized in downtown Tokyo:

Name:	3_showroom.jpg
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	827489

this is the machining room (similar to your friend's):

Name:	6_machines.jpg
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	827490

For the guided tour to this incredible tiny Factory:
                            Audio Note Factory Tour [English]

and to be *shocked* by the high quality stuff they make:
                            AUDIO NOTE

So it looks like after all "size is not that important"
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                            X