Complicated homebrew help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated homebrew help?

I'm working on a project amp going on 4 years now. I finally have it together to where I can get some sound, and while I expected oscillation issues, its hard to figure out where to start sometimes to try to solve them. My build has about 460v B+ on three power stages.

This project amp of mine uses two chassis, with the power amps one, and preamps in another. The power amp chassis was from a 1964 Conn organ, and has one power transformer, and 3 output sections, each with a PI and two output tubes, and their own output transformer. The preamp chassis I made myself and there are 3 preamps in there. I spent a lot of time with the layout and design to try to head off issues, but even so, channel A and B are oscillating, and channel C, the 2204 channel isn't even hooked up all the way yet.

Channel A is an AA864/AB165 Bassman based on that article about converting one to the other thats on the web, but I also have a Marshall style presense control and a single triode Princeton Trem circuit in it. It uses a 6L6GC pair with a 12AT7 PI, and the preamp is a single input, single channel with 3 stages plus the oscillator all using 12AX7's. It sounded fantastic until I hooked up the tone controls the other day...now its an oscillating machine. The OT is a 4000 ohm primary so I should get 50W easy out of this channel. The trem isn't working yet but the presence works fine. NFB is a little less than a stock AA864 bassman.

Channel B uses a 7868 pair with a 5E5 PI, and the preamp is an EF86 into a CF and then the tone stack, volume control, and a 12AY7 gain stage. I built this basic circuit into my brother's Silvertone 1484 that I modded and it sounds great in there. The 1484 is a 6L6 pair and this amp is a 7868 pair though so maybe I'll need to reduce gain? My PI is also different than the Silvertone 6CG7 cathodyne arrangement. In this amp the circuit is very squishy up until about 4, and then starts oscillating. The tone controls don't really work right either, and it sounded great until I hooked them up. This channel has a hi/lo input setup. This channel uses a smaller 8000 ohm OT so I'm guessing power is going to be around 30W here.

Channel C is a JCM800/2204 circuit using an EL34 pair and 12AX7 PI just like the Marshall 2204. This is using a hi/lo series Jfet switching circuit than an engineer friend helped me come up with.....but this channel is not hooked up completely yet. The OT here is a 4000 ohm primary also so I would guess a little more power and a little less breakup than a Marshall, but I'm not sure on that part.

Power amp is all PTP with the exception of a bias tracking circuit I put in from KOC that is on two boards. Each power output section has a screen standby of it's own. It uses a single point buss ground setup and stock Conn layout scheme as far as sockets and transformers arrangement.

Preamp chassis is my own layout similar to Fender's with a board, sockets behind the board, and controls on front, although to allow myself to work on it, front controls are on a plate that screws into preamp chassis and so wire runs to it are a little longer than normal. Grounding here is also single point buss ground with each of the preamp channels having it's own buss ground up to chassis point right next to socket that goes to power amp chassis. Layout is straight line and nothing crosses back on itself and wires that have to cross to do at right angles to each other.

The whole thing has 15 tubes and fits into one head about the size of an SVT head and almost as heavy too. I've got a Weber Fourhead (the last one actually) to allow me to run only one cabinet at a time safely. Should be cool when done but in the meantime its a bitch to troubleshoot. I've incorporated CT biasing on the filament string up to 50v or so to reduce hum. Each stage is seperately decoupled from each other. The isolation between channels is so far quite good but then its not all working yet either. The latest thing that came in along with the tone controls being hooked up was a clicking sound that speeds up if I take tubes out in the preamps and slows down where they're all in there. Its been a good project and I'm learning a lot, but its damned hard to track stuff down sometimes.......I know its a crazy ambitious project too, and I'm probably nuts for trying something like it, but what the hell....

I'll try to post pics this weekend....

Greg

Ok, here are some pictures of the amp. The preamp is the powder coated chassis, and the power amp is the galvanized one. One more to go with some more pics.

Greg
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok, here is another post with the last pics. Keep in mind Channel C, which is down on the end of the preamp with the little circuit board, is not hooked up completely at this time, which is why it appears loose. Channel A and B are the ones I am trying to solve at this time. Channel C will come later as it is more complicated. Also, the faceplace is designed to screw down flush with the preamp chassis once it is all hooked up. There is another plate that screws down over the backs of the tube sockets in the preamp chassis, but it is not in the pics. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer to solve these oscillation issues.

Greg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by soundmasterg; 05-07-2007, 06:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to add text.

Comment

Wow,
        that is quite a rig. Nice wiring & looks.
        There's really too much to absorb in your description & not seeing a schematic is a bit of a hadicap...

however I guess my first step would be to take all the power PI tubes out until you have just one channel you're dealing with at a time.

Then I'd start pulling the preamp tubes out from the 1st up to the PI. Possibly that will help isolate the oscillation.

Also if you have negative feedback, there's the obvious issue with reversed output transformer connections to the power tubes, which will for sure cause oscillations.

That's where I'd start. I'm sure there are other techs here that could add to this. g

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. This is my first ground up project, though I suppose I did a ground up restore and mod on my Sunn 200S, and my brother's Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve first. I guess I should say this is my first ground up with my own design.

Channel C is basically a JCM 800/2204 with some input switching. Channel A is that Bassman AA864/AB165 mod that is floating out on the web that Andy Ruhl came up with. Channel B is my own creation. Unfortunately, the schematics and layouts are all on paper and it would take forever to put it into the computer.

There is no squealing so far, although channel C isn't hooked up yet in the preamp chassis, so I don't think it is the NFB issue. It sounds like a good idea to try to isolate things though. I'm working on getting a working signal generator, and once I have that working, then I'll scope it and see if I can isolate things....I think you're on the right track....thanks for the advice! It seems odd to me that I didn't have a problem until I hooked up the tone stack though. You would think that would provide quite a gain reduction.

Greg

Comment

This is a big project for a first ground up build. Kudos for sticking with it for four years!

I'm a little confused by your last post. You've been saying that you are having oscillation issues but your last post says "There is no squealing so far...". I had assumed that squealing was the issue. What, exactly, are you meaning by oscillation? Motorboating, very high frequency oscillation, other?

I would do exactly as MAR suggests, however. By having BOTH the A and B channels operational, you will really confuse the trouble shooting. Work on it one channel at a time. For example if you disable channel A by removing it's tubes (including the power tubes), and the oscillation stops, you know that channel B is probably fine. So then restore channel A and disable channel B. Then start removeing the channel A tubes one at a time starting with the first preamp tube and working back to the PI as MAR said. When/if the oscillation stops, you will at least know what stage to focus on. If the oscillation were still present after removing all but the rectifier and output tubes, I would take a look at the NFB too (again as MAR suggested).

If the oscillation only occurs when both channels are enabled, I'd probably look for places where output circuits are crossing back over earlier stages or possible cross-wiring between channels. I would also try removing tubes, one at a time, from each channel back to the PI too see if/where the oscillation stops.

Don't know if this will help.

Jag

Comment

And,
              to follow up on what jag added, if this is a high freq oscillation, be mindful of where ever any hi level audio wiring passes by/over/around/near any high gain input circuitry. I've had amps where it's merely a matter of lead dress causing oscillations.

ex: an Ampeg B-15R (reissue) sounded like it just had a hum, when it turns out it was hi-freq oscillation. The primary leads for the output xfomer passed right by the input board. Merely hot glueing those wires to the chassis cured the oscillation.

So, get it down to whichever channel is causing the oscillation & take a chopstick & move the wires all over & watch scope the speaker output for how the oscillation behaves. It could just be a matter of re-routing wires.

glen

Comment

Thanks guys. Theres all types of different oscillations. Channel A has what I believe to be a hi-freq one, since I don't hear any sound unless I bang on the guitar and then I get a little fizz with the volume cranked. It worked great before I hooked up the tone controls on this channel and I made sure I have a good connection on all the solder joints. I'll know more when I get my signal generator fixed so I can scope it.

Channel B again worked great before the tone controls were hooked up. Now it sounds very squishy below 4 on the volume, almost like playing into a compressor, and above 4 it starts fizzing and popping. On both channels, there is a clicking/popping that wasn't there before hooking up the tone controls. Its a rhythmic thing that speeds up as I remove tubes. Very strange!

Seems like most of the advice centers around isolating things to where I'm just working on one channel or the other so thats what I'll aim for as I get going on it again, hopefully this next weekend. Thanks for the help and I'll post more as I find it out!

greg

Comment

I have an update to report.

On Channel A only, I ran a signal though the amp with my signal generator, and used the scope and followed it stage to stage. I get a bit of an oscillation in the power amp between the phase inverter and the power tubes where the waveform moves up and down a bit, but not bad. I found the .047uf mid cap was bad as I could tap it and make the signal come and go. I replaced that and I get pretty good sound up to about 7 on the volume control, and after that it oscillates with squeals and other artifacts. The bass control doesn't work yet either despite the fact that it is wired correctly. I have too much gain too I think because it starts to overdrive at around 2 with a low output guitar and I would like that to happen more like 4-5 or higher, so I plan to reduce the gain a bit. I'm hoping reducing the gain will cure the oscillations but we'll see.

Greg

Comment

Nice amp G-man and I agree with all the others on isolating each channel by itself. One thing you can try as I had this exact problem with an amp and it drove me nuts but heres what I did. I put a 500pf silva mica from treble wiper to ground and it stopped the oscillation until about 7 then it would sqeal . Any value below 500pf wouldn't work. The other problem was, after 7 it would attentuate hard and would sqeal. So I started moving wires around and found the peak inverter out wire wanted to be wrapped around the first 12AX7 socket. That killed all the oscillations and attenuations so I left it like that and it rocks. Good luck on it as it should be a helleva amp when you get it right.
                    KB

Comment

Thanks for the advice and nice comments. I've decided to do a redesign of the preamp chassis. Its too much of a PITA to have the open face with the controls mounted on it, and it compromises the layout and makes wire runs longer than they need to be. I've got channel A working pretty good up to 7 but it oscillates above there with squeals, and depending on where I put the faceplate, it motorboats a little too. I've got the tone controls all working too...it was a bad bass pot.

My new design for the preamp chassis will have two U-shaped chassis each half as wide as the current one. I'll hook them together with the open face on opposite sides, so I can mount the tubes on the top half with the opening facing forward, and I can mount the controls on the bottom half with the opening facing back. Then I'll put a plate on each opening to seal it, and the board can go on the top half of the bottom chassis, and the caps and dropping resistors can go on the bottom half of the top chassis. This will keep wire runs a lot shorter, and the contorls won't be mounted on a plate that has to move back and forth to work on the thing. I'll also be able to clean up the layout where all the dropping resistors and caps are in the current chassis and make them more distributed like they should be. The chassis will be easy to make too, and I should be able to use most of the board the way it is now without making changes. Shouldn't take me much more than a month to get the new one together I think. If the post is still here by then, then I'll offer up some more pics.

Greg

Comment

Oh fudge! That looks complicated all right. Oscillations caused by capacitive coupling in your layout can be a real PITA. I once spent a whole day chasing one. It turned out the feedback wire from the speaker terminal had got loose and wandered too close to one of the earlier stages.

Another time, I built a circuit on two chassis like yours. It oscillated like crazy because the first preamp tube was too near the power tubes, and the signal coupled capacitively through the air from one power tube plate to the plate of the first preamp tube. Once I figured that out it was easy to fix: I put a shield on the first preamp tube.

The only thing I could suggest for troubleshooting is to disconnect one chassis from the other, or pull the power tubes. That way you will know which of the two chassis the feedback is happening in, or if it's happening between one chassis and the other.

Another thing I sometimes do when I get stuck is break the circuit between stages, drive the input of the stage following the break with a signal generator, and see how much and what kind of signal is getting picked up on the output of the stage before the break, and how it varies when I turn knobs, poke the wires around and wave hands near the circuit.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for the advice Steve. I think things should be a lot better with my new chassis design. I'll have more room despite having the same basic size chassis, so I can space things out a bit better, and do a better layout too. It will take me a bit of time to work on the new layout and punch out the new chassis, but it will be worth it when I end up spending less time troubleshooting! I'll post pics when I'm to that point again. Thanks again.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X