18 watt TMB build,no sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 watt TMB build,no sound?

Hey guys, I just finished up a 18 watt TMB build and when I powered it up everything lights up,ie;indicator light,tubes etc but i have no sound.
    checked the speaker,speaker cable,input and output connections and it all seems to be fine. Can't seem to track down the reason for it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck.

No sound at all, not even a slight hum or noise of any kind?
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
      No sound at all, not even a slight hum or noise of any kind?
      Hey joe,no nothing.

Comment

Voltage reading at the tube pins???
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Voltage reading at the tube pins???
          Hey chuck I tried taking some voltage readings and everything comes back a negitive reading,even the B+.
          Some examples of readings I've taken are;

V1-pin 1=-0.979vdc
          pin3= 13vdc
          pin 6=-1.027vdc and dropping.
          pin 8= -0.005vdc
          This is consistant on all the tubes, all negative readings?

Chuck.

Comment

I'm using a separate 6.3v transformer for the rectifier tube as the trannys I'm using doesn't have a seperate winding for the rectifier.

Chuck.

Comment

Link or post a schematic please.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	18wattTMBceriatone.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	824656
                Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                Link or post a schematic please.
                hey loudthud, I'm using the ceriatone 18watt TMB schematic but I haven't got one on file to post. I have the layout which i have gotten from the ceriatone website,if that helps.

chuck.

Comment

Something in the power supply (at least) seems to be miswired. But do check the HV secondary voltages.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    Something in the power supply (at least) seems to be miswired. But do check the HV secondary voltages.
                    Yes chuck, That's what i was thinking. The power tranny has windings for 120v and 240v but I wasn't to sure how they were wired for 120v. Here is what is printed on the power tranny;Input: BLK-Blue - Orange Brown-yellow
                    fuse-100v- 120v fuse - 120v

Output: 266vac @150ma (red)
                    27vac @ 100ma (Vio)
                    6.3vac @ 200ma (wht)

I have the orange and yellow wired together on one side of the on/0ff switch.The other side of the on/off switch goes to the end lug of fuse.
                    I have the brown and black wired together on one lug of the IEC terminal. The other lug of the IEC socket is wired to the center lug of the fuse. The center lug od the IEC socket is wired to ground.
                    I suspect I have it wired wrong though.

Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
                      Yes chuck, That's what i was thinking. The power tranny has windings for 120v and 240v but I wasn't to sure how they were wired for 120v. Here is what is printed on the power tranny;Input: BLK-Blue - Orange Brown-yellow
                      fuse-100v- 120v fuse - 120v

Output: 266vac @150ma (red)
                      27vac @ 100ma (Vio)
                      6.3vac @ 200ma (wht)

Chuck.
                      I thought you said you had no filament winding?

Comment

Hey chuck, i'm sorry about that but I didn't think that the winding I had was sufficient for the rectifier as well so I added anothe seperate 6.3v tranny for that.

Comment

Hey chuck,I thought I needed a separate winding for the rectifier?

chuck.

Comment

That was olddawg who asked after the filament supply. I read that your using another tranny for that. And rightly so since I don't even know what a 200mA 6.3V tap is good for.?. Since your tubes are glowing let's ignore that tranny for now.

As to the primary wiring, not much info in your post. What you say is written on the transformer regarding the primary just looks like color names without designations to me. And there aren't any absolute standards either. Do you know the transformer MFG? Where did you get it? You already tried turning the amp on and it seems nothing blew up. So is there HV on pins 1 and 7 of the EZ81?

Comment

Sorry guys. I thought the 6.3v @ 200ma was a typo. Just trying to simplify things, wondering if the filament was working at all. The standard HV secondary for an 18 watt clone is around 290-300v.

Comment

Working...
                              X