old, old style mic cable connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old, old style mic cable connector?

hey you guys know the name of the real old style mic connector that has a flat round center conductor, maybe 1/4" diameter, and the ground connection screws onto the base?

I need to make a couple adapters for a couple old mics, and of course I can't find any of the old cables like that I have around here somewhere.
    If I know the name I could probably find them.

Thanks.

Originally posted by drewl View Post
    hey you guys know the name of the real old style mic connector that has a flat round center conductor, maybe 1/4" diameter, and the ground connection screws onto the base?

I need to make a couple adapters for a couple old mics, and of course I can't find any of the old cables like that I have around here somewhere.
    If I know the name I could probably find them.

Thanks.
    I think you are talking about a Switchcraft 2501F connector. We used to call them "Solder Dot" connectors because of the dot of solder in the center. I checked and Mouser has them in stock.

Comment

Yep, 2501. They came in M and F versions, the only difference being whether they screwed the threaded ring around it or not.

We always just referred to them as "microphone connectors." We were not very creative.

ANother option might be to screw a Switchcraft 332A adaptor onto the mic, then just use guitar cords.

But really, I'd go ahead and make the proper cords.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Solder dot, I was going to use that as a description but forgot.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I think I still have a bunch of these in a drawer. How many you need?
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Well after checking the dimensions, the threads on the mic(s) are smaller than the switchcraft, around
            0.45 inches, and metric.
            The two mics are a "JAX" (??) and a "Norma MD-1651" which is labeled from Japan.

So far I found a couple links to dead auctions for similiar items (and I think the auction for this pair!) but no current auctions with links/pix.

So if you guys know what connectors these are, let me know.

So they're solder dot, metric threads around 0.45 inches.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well consider this....you can pull those old style mic connectors out and the mounting hole *should* be the same size as required by a regular 1/4" jack. Since they're both hi-z connectors, you may think about changing them out for quarters.
              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Or to stay real retro, you could probably remove the metric items and mount "real" 2501 screw-ons on the mic.

Or hard-wire cords on the mics.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X