First Attempt at Pickup Building: A Dan Armstrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Attempt at Pickup Building: A Dan Armstrong

I've lurked here for a long while, and gotten a lot of good information, so let me first say thank you, and then hello.

I've built and repaired guitars for a long time, and I enjoy doing it. I've gotten much better at wiring than I used to be (I'm still amazed when the wiring is right on the first try), but I've never even thought about building a pickup until now.

I'm working on a replica of a Dan Armstrong plexi guitar, and I want to recreate the pickup, since its such a distinctive part of the instrument. I'd love to do a total replica, but I can't figure out where to get those bobbins:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bare_pickup1L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	865286

It appears that SANHE sells something similar, but I don't need 200 of them. At the moment I figure I'll just get blades and bobbins from Mojotone.
    I'm thinking to build a fairly standard humbucker and fabricate a cover from brown plastic with the blades exposed.

From what I've been able to find out, the Sustain Treble pickup was right around 9.5k and used 42AWG. So that at least gives me some guidance.

I'm going to try building a winder from a sewing machine.

Any suggestions, advice, or guidance are very welcome, since this is new territory for me.

Welcome!
    Not at all familiar with the pickup in question.
    9.5k of 42AWG would have to be a fairly large bobbin.
    The pickup looks similar to a P90, except with a Blade.
    I recommend that starting out it is easier to get all the fundamentals with standard pickups.
    Like single coils, humbuckers and the like.
    Lots of winders, have started with sewing machine winders.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I realize now I forgot to mention that the photo is not of the same pickup; it's a single-coil version, and I should have stipulated it. It was just the best photo of the bobbin I could find.

The Sustained Treble is a dual-blade humbucker, pictured here:

Name:	2319685814_b648ce0118_b.jpg
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	824700

Thanks again!

Comment

Nice looking setup.
        Don't know how to build that one.
        However looks like a lot of different pickups could be adapted to that situation.
        A double blade, or a regular Humbucker.
        Looks like you could make 2 individual bobbins with forbon and then put material over the finished pickup.
        That is how that pickup appears to me.
        G.L.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I'm making some progress, at least on the information front. I have dimensions for most of the critical dimensions of the pickup. One thing I notice is that the bobbin spacing is slightly wider (7/8") than regular humbuckers.

In looking at the humbucker blade poles at Mojotone, I notice that it says the blades are for use with either 2 or 4 magnets. I couldn't find further information on that, so I was hoping someone could tell me why these humbuckers need more magnets and how/where they would go.

I was also wondering how you attach blade bobbins to a baseplate.

I know some of the other Armstrong pickups used multiple magnets (see photo).

Name:	cbtopmagsr600.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	824755Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-052F.JPG
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	824756

Those are bass pickups if it makes any difference. I couldn't find any information on the # of magnets in a Sustained Treble pickup, only that they are ceramic.

I am completely ignorant about this, so any information is very welcome. Thanks in advance,

Sean

Comment

This is the description of the full sized blade humbucker bobbins.

"These do not fit in covers, as they are oversized. Use them with the 53mm baseplates, the screw holes in the bobbins line up with the outer polepiece holes in the baseplate. Also, a humbucker-size bar magnet will be a bit too narrow. Use one 2.35x.250x.120 ceramic magnet for each bobbin."

With the wider bobbins, a regular humbucker bar magnet is too narrow, so they say to use the 2 smaller magnets.
            One per each blade and bobbin.
            Terry
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              This is the description of the full sized blade humbucker bobbins.

"These do not fit in covers, as they are oversized. Use them with the 53mm baseplates, the screw holes in the bobbins line up with the outer polepiece holes in the baseplate. Also, a humbucker-size bar magnet will be a bit too narrow. Use one 2.35x.250x.120 ceramic magnet for each bobbin."

With the wider bobbins, a regular humbucker bar magnet is too narrow, so they say to use the 2 smaller magnets.
              One per each blade and bobbin.
              Terry
              Yep. You can use two of the smaller ceramic magnets made for the Strat blade pickups. You can use 4 magnets if you add two flanking magnets.

I think those old Dan Armstrong pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence. Maybe he would be able to shed some light on them. If not, Kent or Aaron Armstrong might remember something about them.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thank you for the information, and the photo of the bobbin underside!

I'm enjoying this learning curve a lot, though it's very steep.

What effect/benefit would adding more magnets have?

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Yep. You can use two of the smaller ceramic magnets made for the Strat blade pickups. You can use 4 magnets if you add two flanking magnets.

I think those old Dan Armstrong pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence. Maybe he would be able to shed some light on them. If not, Kent or Aaron Armstrong might remember something about them.
                  IIRC, Kent made the pickups for the reissue of the Plexi guitar. I seem to remember reading an article somewhere about Kent making it and I wish I remembered where I read it.

Comment

It's part of Guitarist Magazine's review of the reissue.

The bars in those pickups are nearly 5mm (.189") wide. I may have to make my own bobbins after all. Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by whitebison66 View Post

The bars in those pickups are nearly 5mm (.189") wide. I may have to make my own bobbins after all. Wish me luck!
                      Yep, that's the article. I may even still have that issue...

Comment

Can someone tell me what the sonic difference(s) would be between using two magnets and four? I'm just wondering.

I've been watching eBay for DA pickup auctions. Mostly because its a good way to get photos of the PUs. But ye gods, those things go for $300-400! I think I'll be happy with my own (poor) imitation.

Comment

I realize now I forgot to mention that the photo is not of the same pickup; it's a single-coil version, and I should have stipulated it. It was just the best photo of the bobbin I could find.

The Sustained Treble is a dual-blade humbucker, pictured here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18023[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks again!
                          Cool pickup you have in there , is that you that did it !

Know nothing about elctronics , but would like to make one one day only for fun , look into the forum to learn some stuff .

Comment

Oups , didn t see it , cool guitar

Comment

Well, after a much greater delay than intended, I at least ordered the parts for the pickup(s).

I ordered extra bobbins, poles and magnets so I can learn safely and maybe even get more than one pickup right.

The guitar itself is just about finished, though there is still some fretwork and setup to do.

I still need to get the sewing machine, but that should happen fairly soon. I hope...

Comment

Working...
                              X