DiMarzio's Double-Cream Trademark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
    Almost all of this is false. There was absolutely zero interaction between the two entities. No one sent any letters, phone calls, etc. I'm not sure who your source is, but get a new source. The current policy is 100% voluntary.
    Otherwise not much to add. It's tax time in the US, so I'll share that I liked one of Dimarzio's replies to a consumer years back where they compared it to the green square in front of H&R Block. They included other examples like yellow or blue power tools we all associate with certain brands. Whether Jackson Hewitt or your local accountant puts up a green square in front of the building, pretty much everyone on this forum would probably perceive it as wrong, and defend H&R Block's right to defend themselves.
    The problem with the analogy is that H&R Block's protection is not on the square, but a green square. Now imagine greater than 50% of their facilities and media used a black square, with many using pink, yellow, purple, red, etc. It could be arguable that they are no longer worthy of their protection on the green square. But if they aggressively fought everyone who tried to use a green square for 30 years, they could still be considered worthy.
    Frank, something to consider here... none of the trademarks serve any functional purpose, such as aesthetic compatibility. Also, they probably didn't affect the cost of manufacture, which the DM Cream did, and continued to do so till the 90's. Color depletion isn't an issue there.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
      Frank, something to consider here... none of the trademarks serve any functional purpose, such as aesthetic compatibility. Also, they probably didn't affect the cost of manufacture, which the DM Cream did, and continued to do so till the 90's. Color depletion isn't an issue there.
      Wolfe, Frank is going to be extremely diplomatic about this no matter what his personal thoughts might be. I'm sure he is a loyal Seymour Duncan employee but clearly conflict with a competitor is not really good business. In the corporate world nobody knows when they might be a free agent so burning a bridge that might later need to be crossed is foolish. Again I'm sure Frank is an asset to Seymour Duncan, I'm just saying good business for you is different than good business for Frank.

I agree with Jason and Frank. It is not really worth the trouble. If you want to trademark say "Wolfetone White", and define it in RGB terms, then have a lawyer require an RGB definition of "DiMarzio Cream" to prove no violation of your "Wolfetone White" Trademark, then you either have the problem solved and DIMarzio defines it, or you have a law suit on your turf. But it would probably be costly to very costly if you did it.
      Last edited by JGundry; 04-30-2012, 04:08 AM.
      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
      www.throbak.com
      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

I just use my "aged white" bobbins... problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
          Frank is going to be extremely diplomatic about this no matter what his personal thoughts might be. I'm sure he is a loyal Seymour Duncan employee but clearly conflict with a competitor is not really good business. In the corporate world nobody knows when they might be a free agent so burning a bridge that might later need to be crossed is foolish. Again I'm sure Frank is an asset to Seymour Duncan, I'm just saying good business for you is different than good business for Frank.
          I hear things.......

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
            I hear things.......
            They have Medications for that!
            Just Kiddin!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Gibson issued approximately 1,500 Gibson Les Paul KM model guitars with exposed double-cream T-Top pickups manufactured in Kalamazoo, MI in 1979. I can't speak for any other examples but the tops of the "T"s on the bobbins on my KM's pickups are not facing in the same direction like in every photo of T-Tops I've seen. Rather, the "T"'s are upside down from each other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	285006BE-8DD3-47E5-981F-C146CEF20780-1856-0000040BFE6E6B2A_zps587c7306.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	828599

Click image for larger version

Name:	95F3D98E-9794-4CFA-A813-A64FC07C1714-1856-0000040C06BC084A_zps142bb519.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	828600

Comment

The T mark comes every which way. I've seen them both screw side up, slug side up, one of each, one or both bobbins flipped upside down showing no T at all. Luck of the draw. Cool that you have double cream T's, though! I have a zebra one.

Comment

The SG "Exclusive" came with double cream T-Top Dirty Fingers. I don't know production numbers on it but it was likely a single run.

Comment

I have a zebra large magnet stamped T-Top dated Nov 9 1979, and a thin magnet double black stamped T-Top dated Nov 6th 1979.

I got them from someone who is the original owner of an SG that came with no pickups covers, thus these pickups have no indication of having ever had covers on, especially not soldered, in their life.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                      I have a zebra large magnet stamped T-Top dated Nov 9 1979, and a thin magnet double black stamped T-Top dated Nov 6th 1979.

I got them from someone who is the original owner of an SG that came with no pickups covers, thus these pickups have no indication of having ever had covers on, especially not soldered, in their life.
                      It was around that time that people started taking the covers off humbuckers, and of course DiMarzio came out with their pickups.

Interestingly I had an '81 Les Paul standard with Shaw humbuckers, and they had covers on them (which I promptly removed!). So I guess Gibson was responding to DiMarzio by not having covers on the pickups.

And these days they sell them both ways.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X