Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a free antivirus program for 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sprocket View Post
    Yep , I have FF 11 on right now , & it regularly shutdown , very annoying to say the least . I have IE9 too , so this one s more stable .
    Might have a look @ this link buddy : Firefox crashes | Troubleshooting | Firefox Help

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      So is anybody here using FF 11.0? Version 10.0.0 was the buggiest program I have seen in a long time (I understand that the problems had something to do with Flash and plugin-container.exe.) Tech support at Mozilla recommended downgrading to an earlier version (3.5.10.)
      I'm running FF-10.0.
      I had trouble with FF-9.
      I let 10 come out for a while, and it has been real stable on this machine.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Gee , love these computors , had to talk about it in order for FF-11 not to crash ,unbeleivable ... but I removed & reinstalled all Flash & such , it might have help .

Comment

Yep , I have FF 11 on right now , & it regularly shutdown , very annoying to say the least.
          It is very strange how it crashes- you could blink and it'd be gone. When you restart it all of your windows pop right back up, some with the contents of forum posts you are composing (except for Facebook.) I have a link to the FTP site for FF 3.5.10 but I don't know how to download the files.

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.5.10/

Can anyone can tell me how to download those files in Windows 7? I used to use FTP Explorer from 1999 (if not earlier) but was told that was no longer necessary with the newer versions of Windows.

Steve Ahola

Windows 7, Visitors 35
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Gee , love these computors , had to talk about it in order for FF-11 not to crash ,unbeleivable ... but I removed & reinstalled all Flash & such , it might have help .
            Well , FF-11 crashed again , gotta use IE9 from now on . Never had problems like these before with FF up to FF-11

Comment

Well , FF-11 crashed again , gotta use IE9 from now on . Never had problems like these before with FF up to FF-11
              You can remove the Firefox 11 then you can install any old version you wish here.
              Old Version of Firefox Download - OldApps.com
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                You can remove the Firefox 11 then you can install any old version you wish here.
                T
                Thanx , appreciate that buddy , but after installed , it uodates/upgrades itself! , major issue here , don t know how to not update/upgrade

Comment

Thanx , appreciate that buddy , but after installed , it uodates/upgrades itself! , major issue here , don t know how to not update/upgrade
                  Download the new, or old FF to your Hard drive.
                  Remove the FF 11.
                  Before you load the FF10 or which ever.
                  Disable your internet.
                  Load the FF10 or whichever, from your hard drive.
                  Open the Firefox.
                  Go to options, and Advanced Tab.
                  Disable auto updates.
                  Then turn Your Internet connection back on.
                  You should be in Bizz!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

T
                    Thanks! The Mozilla site was really pissing me off- like we all know how to download from FTP sites (normally it is very transparent- it seems like a regular HTTP download, unless the website chooses to make it difficult!) And you almost had to be a programmer to customize the program at all (rather than just have menus and choices like a *real* program.)

One more gripe- when are they going to bring Thunderbird into the 21st Century? They might do patches under the hood but the program hasn't changed much since the days of Netscape. (I do like it that the Thunderbird Mail folders are backwards compatible with all of the older versions and with those in Netscape.) I guess my main gripe is the very limited search function. The ONLY change I have seen in the past 10 years is that "Match all of the following" is now the default choice rather than "Match any of the following."

Steve Ahola
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

NEVER use a free antivirus. Use a professional all in one antivirus. DO NOT load free software from the internet, you have been warned.
                      NEVER load multiple mismatched security programs, especially free ones. They will conflict with each other.
                      As I have fixed many infected computers, almost all of them had "free" antivirus installed, and it was worthless.

NEVER load programs into your computer that promise to "fix" "repair" "clean" "sweep" or "speed up" your computer. Pretty much ALL of these are a SCAM.
                      The idea is to give you something for "free." Then you are loaded with spyware and all kinds of other CRAP.
                      Don't be an idiot.

Comment

If FF is shutting down, it's NOT firefox that's doing it.
                        You have OTHER problems that is causing it, most likely the security you installed.

Comment

We use what we can afford.
                          There are some good free Softwares.
                          We go through this same old thing everytime someone has a little Glitch.
                          It will all blow over tomorrow!
                          Peace, tone , and Volume.
                          Keep Rockin!
                          B_T
                          Terry

Comment

A colleague at work just got the "Smart Fortress 2012" virus, in spite of the Mcafee Enterprise AV that gets remotely installed on all of our machines.

We rebooted his machine in safe mode and removed it with Malwarebytes.

Flash and Java are full of security holes and cause more trouble than you would believe. It is very important to make sure that both are updated regularly, so you get the latest security patches. Likewise for Microsoft/Apple's own automatic updates for the OS itself. They don't release these for fun, they are to fix real security issues.

Adblock Plus is very useful in this respect because it limits your exposure to Flash. The less ads you view, the less chance you have of viewing an infected one.

I've been running Firefox the last 4-5 years and let it update itself. I also have the updates turned on for Flash Player and Java. Never had any serious problems.
                            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Download the new, or old FF to your Hard drive.
                              Remove the FF 11.
                              Before you load the FF10 or which ever.
                              Disable your internet.
                              Load the FF10 or whichever, from your hard drive.
                              Open the Firefox.
                              Go to options, and Advanced Tab.
                              Disable auto updates.
                              Then turn Your Internet connection back on.
                              You should be in Bizz!
                              T
                              Thanx for the tip Big_teee , but I dout I ll put it back in , gives me too many problems ...lol , & it s not my computor , so I wont install it right now , or have my father use IE9 for now , till that FF-11 shit get resolved

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                                A colleague at work just got the "Smart Fortress 2012" virus, in spite of the Mcafee Enterprise AV that gets remotely installed on all of our machines.

We rebooted his machine in safe mode and removed it with Malwarebytes.

Flash and Java are full of security holes and cause more trouble than you would believe. It is very important to make sure that both are updated regularly, so you get the latest security patches. Likewise for Microsoft/Apple's own automatic updates for the OS itself. They don't release these for fun, they are to fix real security issues.

Adblock Plus is very useful in this respect because it limits your exposure to Flash. The less ads you view, the less chance you have of viewing an infected one.

I've been running Firefox the last 4-5 years and let it update itself. I also have the updates turned on for Flash Player and Java. Never had any serious problems.
                                Cool , I do have all the latest Flash & Java & FF-11 keeps crashing . Only have 2 plugins too on FF-11 , & use Secunia PSI in order to have the latest updates to all software installs , it just crashed after upgrading on FF-11 , which never crashed before in FF installed in years , so it might / must be FF-11 the issue , hope it helps a bit , but I told him not to use FF for now to be sure .

Lets see what it will do , put FF to factory specs , kind of ...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X